Which Stabalizer?

Old April 11th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default Which Stabalizer?

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:38:44 +0100, "John Miller"
wrote:

I am yet to be convinced that the expensive Al-Ko (& Winterhoff) hitch
stabilisers are any better than the old-fashioned "Scott" - type blade
stabiliser. The Al-ko has convenience on its side, but against that is the
cost and special (dry) towball required (unless you already have a swan-neck
hitch). Maintenance costs are also higher.

I used a Scott type stabiliser for 12 years and was perfectly happy
with it, When I got the new van it had an Alko stabiliser hitch fitted
and I now would not go back to using a leaf type. They are so much
more convenient to use, and at least as effective. As to maintenance
costs mine has been fitted for three years now and has not required
any maintenance at all, what is more it does not creak and groan when
moving. I was forever cleaning they old stabiliser and refitting and
every three years or so I needed to replace the pads. As to cost I
purchased a full set of replacement pads ( genuine Alko ) from a site
on ebay for £8 plus a small amount of postage, those have still not
been fitted and the cost is similar if not less than the equivalent
leaf type pads. The new tow ball is as easy to fit as the old one and
if you are having a new towbar assembly fitted on a new car then it is
worth while specifying the Alko ball which works just as well with non
alko hitches as it does with the stabiliser hitch. As to the
requiremnet to be dry all it requires is to be free of grease which if
you have used it on a hitch that requires grease is a soaking in white
spirit and wiping off with a clean dry cloth. Swan Neck hitches are
not a necessity at all.

Bill Lord

Old April 11th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon

My wife is towing our caravan some 250 miles next weekend and its only the
second time she has done this. We need a stabilizer but wanted to know which
one is the best to use.

Any help is appreciated

Simon

Old April 11th 06, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Simon" wrote in message
My wife is towing our caravan some 250 miles next weekend and its only the
second time she has done this. We need a stabilizer but wanted to know
which one is the best to use.

Al-ko

Please reply to News Group

Old April 11th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon

"David" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
My wife is towing our caravan some 250 miles next weekend and its only
the second time she has done this. We need a stabilizer but wanted to
know which one is the best to use.

Al-ko

Please reply to News Group

Thanks David

I have just bought a 1985 Elddis Cyclone, Will it fit on that and also what
are they like to fit?

thanks