One final question.. i think........

Old April 12th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon

Default One final question.. i think........

As some of you are aware we are towing for the first time to Somerset in a
week. We are following a large lorry there with all our household
possessions in it.

Is it better to have the caravan empty (i.e. put the awning and everything
else in the lorry and tow the van empty) or is it better to have some weight
in it.

Also are we better following the lorry or being in front of it. It may seem
a silly question but I was thinking about the windstream etc.

Sorry to be a pain in the arris with all the questions but I am just
starting out and am clueless lol

Simon

Old April 12th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon

"Simon" wrote in message
As some of you are aware we are towing for the first time to Somerset in a
week. We are following a large lorry there with all our household
possessions in it.

Is it better to have the caravan empty (i.e. put the awning and everything
else in the lorry and tow the van empty) or is it better to have some
weight in it.

Also are we better following the lorry or being in front of it. It may
seem a silly question but I was thinking about the windstream etc.

Sorry to be a pain in the arris with all the questions but I am just
starting out and am clueless lol

Simon

Oh....nearly forgot. Anyone know the tyre pressure on a 1985 Elddis Cyclone?
When i went to see it they looked a little down?

Old April 12th 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy_R

"Simon" wrote in message
As some of you are aware we are towing for the first time to Somerset in a
week. We are following a large lorry there with all our household
possessions in it.

Is it better to have the caravan empty (i.e. put the awning and everything
else in the lorry and tow the van empty) or is it better to have some
weight in it.

Also are we better following the lorry or being in front of it. It may
seem a silly question but I was thinking about the windstream etc.

Sorry to be a pain in the arris with all the questions but I am just
starting out and am clueless lol

You're going to get many responses to this but for what it's worth here are
my theories:

1. Keep the towing vehicle as heavy as possible within legal/design limits
2. Keep the trailer as light as possible
3. Try and get the nose weight of the trailer as near its design limit as
possible.
4. Pump all tyres up the the maximum recommended
5. Get the trailer's C of G as low as poss and as far forward as poss
bearing in mind 3 above.

Whether you follow or lead the lorry is academic so long as the gap is safe.
You may get a slight fuel advantage out of following bt if you're that close
you could be eating into your safety margins.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 12th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

If you are towing for the first time then I would go in front of the lorry.
That way if you get into trouble they will be coming along behind and could
help.