Alko stabiliser

Old April 12th 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default Alko stabiliser

On 13 Apr 2006 13:50:36 -0700, "Kenspot"
wrote:

Can I fit an Alko or std towball and keep it permanently greased if I
use don't use the Alko stabiliser as a stabiliser? And as I would
still like a stabiliser whilst towing, could I then use a Bulldog type
to stabilise the outfit (car & caravan)?
Regards
Ken

There does not seem much point in having a caravan with an alko
stabiliser and greasing the ball so as to make it ineffective only to
pay out to by the less efficient Bulldog type. The best compromise if
you have a caravan with an alko fitted and a trailer with an ordinary
hitch fitted is to fit the Alko ball that you would require for the
stabiliser hitch ( whether you grease it or not ) and then to simply
clean it with white spirit every time you hitch the caravan to the
car. It takes only a minute and is very effective. I wouldn't go back
to a blade type stabiliser.
For those macho men who say they wouldn't use a stabiliser because
they are not needed, I would say yes most of the time they are not
needed but I use one for the one time in a thousand where one helps,
and someday it may save my life, a bit like a seat belt, or an air bag
or any other safety device.

Bill Lord

Old April 13th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Kenspot

Hi, I'm looking to buy a used caravan that may have an Alko Stabiliser
fitted. Now, it would be no problem fitting a new towball to my Mondeo
to suit, but I'm also looking at buying a Esterel Folding Camper.
If my new caravan has an Alko fitted I will also have to fit an Alko to
my Folding Camper. The folding camper has a coulping head that rotates
360degrees.
Is it possible to fit an Alko to such a coupling head?

Thanks in advance for your help.
REgards
Ken

Old April 13th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

"Kenspot" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi, I'm looking to buy a used caravan that may have an Alko Stabiliser
fitted. Now, it would be no problem fitting a new towball to my Mondeo
to suit, but I'm also looking at buying a Esterel Folding Camper.
If my new caravan has an Alko fitted I will also have to fit an Alko to
my Folding Camper. The folding camper has a coulping head that rotates
360degrees.
Is it possible to fit an Alko to such a coupling head?

Thanks in advance for your help.
REgards
Ken

An ordinary trailer with a standard 50mm hitch will fit on an Alko hitch.
The biggest problem is that when using the Alko hitch the ball must be
completely grease free.
After having used the trailer (you will need to grease the ball) you must
make sure that the ball is completely degrased with methylated spirits
before hitching the caravan. Alko advise that you do this even when not
using any other trailer.

Peter

Old April 13th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Peter wrote:

The biggest problem is that when using the Alko hitch the ball must be
completely grease free.

Only if you wish it to act as a stabiliser. Otherwise don't waste your
time worrying.

You do not need a stabiliser despite what you may think on reading this
newsgroup. It may be helpful as a backup device to an already stable
outfit but should never be used as a means of producing stability in the
first place.