Motor Movers

Old April 13th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default Motor Movers

On 14 Apr 2006 15:30:04 -0700, "Not very Techinal"
wrote:

so what costs are we talking about?

£880 for a powrtouch fitted and similar if not more for others.

Bill Lord

Old April 14th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Not very Techinal

Hi,

I'm moving to a new house which has a slight inclinated drive. I am
therefore considering a motor mover, Mr Shifter or other. I have a
Bailey single axle 6th berth.

Has any one had any problems or ideas on what might be best=? The only
down side of a motormover type is the extra weight you have to tow with
you, but then you can use it at sites etc.

Your help, thoughts and ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Old April 14th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Not very Techinal wrote:

Hi,

I'm moving to a new house which has a slight inclinated drive. I am
therefore considering a motor mover, Mr Shifter or other. I have a
Bailey single axle 6th berth.

Has any one had any problems or ideas on what might be best=? The
only down side of a motormover type is the extra weight you have to
tow with you, but then you can use it at sites etc.

Your help, thoughts and ideas would be great.

Thanks,

The relative merits of built-in movers vs those which attach to the hitch
have been discussed here as nauseum.

The general concensus is that the hitch type movers are of little use except
on a hard horizontal surface. As soon as they encounter a slope or loose
chippings or a soft/wet grassy surface, forget it! The laws of physics are
stacked against them because only 5-7% of the caravan's weight is over the
driven wheel.

Built-in movers win hands down - but do suffer from the disadvantage that
they use up some of your payload. They're still what I would go for, though.

Make sure that you get one with a soft start. They tend to be rather jerky
otherwise, and difficult to use - particularly when manoeuvring into a
narrow space. If you are going to park the van close to a wall, a mover
which allows both sides to be engaged and disengaged from a single side is a
must.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 14th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Not very Techinal wrote:

Hi,

I'm moving to a new house which has a slight inclinated drive. I am
therefore considering a motor mover, Mr Shifter or other. I have a
Bailey single axle 6th berth.

Has any one had any problems or ideas on what might be best=? The
only down side of a motormover type is the extra weight you have to
tow with you, but then you can use it at sites etc.

Your help, thoughts and ideas would be great.

Thanks,

The relative merits of built-in movers vs those which attach to the hitch
have been discussed here as nauseum.

It's only ad nauseam to those of us who've been here for some time.

The general concensus is that the hitch type movers are of little use
except on a hard horizontal surface. As soon as they encounter a slope or
loose chippings or a soft/wet grassy surface, forget it! The laws of
physics are stacked against them because only 5-7% of the caravan's weight
is over the driven wheel.

That's not the consensus. It only applies if the hitch wheel is at the top
of the upward slope.

We've learned always to get our 'van up the slope of our drive with the
hitch wheel on the lower part of the slope. That works well with our
man-powered HitchDrive, it also worked with our Powrwheel. It even applied
when we pushed and pulled with no other aid. But our 'van is only 12' long.

Built-in movers win hands down - but do suffer from the disadvantage that
they use up some of your payload. They're still what I would go for,
though.

They are also VERY expensive.

Mary