generator?

Old April 16th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default generator?

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:40:17 +0100, "Andy E"
wrote:

Generators are fine if used correctly don't forget! because caravan
manufacturers are fitting halogen bulbs nowadays the batteries don't last
too long do they!

I am happy to go away for whatever period of time I choose to with
only two 110amp batteries and the car to charge them, though if the
site owner has battery charging facilities that is better again. My
van has halogen only lights, an indoor water tank that I have to pump
the water into ( so all the water is pumped twice ), We nowadays take
a TV with us and watch an hour or two most nights. The first battery
will last us at least five nights, then change over to the other
battery for the next 5 nights whilst I get the first battery
recharged, then another 5 nights and so we go on ad infinitum. From
this time of year right through till early October I have never found
the need of anything else, though in these days of electric hook up
being included in the price of the pitch if it's there I use it.
During the winter months battery only is only an option for shorter
times, as the number of hours needed with lights is considerably
longer.
Bill Lord

Old April 17th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy E

What generators would you recommend please for general rally use etc. The
inverted ones I believe are better? Kipor v Honda I suppose?

need the pros and cons please.

Anyone selling one???

AE

Old April 17th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy_R

"Andy E" wrote in message
What generators would you recommend please for general rally use etc. The
inverted ones I believe are better? Kipor v Honda I suppose?

I've got to ask the question, why do you need a generator?

Unless you intend to spend ages in one place it's unnecessary and in any
case, there's usually electric hookups on
most sites. If you're on a quiet site with no electric you're probably
amongst other people who also want peace & quiet. Firing up your genny, no
matter how quiet you believe it is, is going to **** off everybody around
you and for what? So you can watch Eastenders or because you're so
desperate to eat you have to microwave your TV dinner instead of waiting for
it to cook in the oven.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 17th 06, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy E

We have been away last week and battery power is poor when using tv etc. I
want it to use in the day for a couple of hours to recharge the battery. And
use with my 4yr old on cbeebee days :-)