Travelling to Italy

Old April 18th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bedpan

Default Travelling to Italy

Hi All

I am travelling down to Italy in May, towing my two berth Caravan
with a Citroen Zsara
2000 HDi. We will be going via Dover/Calaise.
My query is. Can anyone recommend a daily mileage to drive ,
bearing in mind we are going mostly motorway all the way but more
importantly I am knocking on a bit (retired a couple of years ago) .
Any tips or info would be most gratefully received. Thanks in
anticipation

Roger Bass

Old April 18th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
peter g

"bedpan" wrote in message
oups.com...
My query is. Can anyone recommend a daily mileage to drive ,
bearing in mind we are going mostly motorway all the way but more
importantly I am knocking on a bit (retired a couple of years ago) .
Any tips or info would be most gratefully received. Thanks in
anticipation

Hi Roger

I've done this journey a number of times in recent years with a caravan.
You have a number of choices of route that you can choose. You can go
through France and into Italy via either the Mont Blanc or Frejus tunnels,
or from France go into Switzerland and cross the Simplon Pass which is
fairly easy as long as you don't have a huge caravan with a smallish car.
Or you could go via Luxemburg and Germany, through Switzerland and into
Italy via the Gottard tunnel, or go via Munich and Austria and use the
Brenner Pass. There are a number of other variations of these routes as
well.

In distance terms there isn't too much to choose between them. They all
have pros & cons. If using French motorways you will pay more tolls, plus
tolls for the tunnels; Switzerland means buying vignettes for car & van;
Austria also needs a vignette (just one for the outfit IIRC, and not as
expensive as Switz.). German motorways are free, but many of them are only
2 lanes and we have found traffic to be bad at times. The last time we used
the one down the Rhine towards Basel, the concrete surface was a nightmare
and they had a rule that caravans, HGVs, etc could not overtake, meaning you
were stuck in the inside lane at the speed of the slowest lorry on the road.
The final choice of route obviously comes down to your own preference.
Things like time of year and so on will obviously affect traffic & road
conditions.

The easiest drive is probably the French route - OK, you pay the tolls & the
tunnel, but in my experience it is money well spent for a relaxing drive on
(mostly) quieter roads, well maintained, excellent service stations, and a
good choice of sites for night halts. There are good sites at places like
Chalons, Troyes, Macon that are not far off the motorway for night stops.
Depending what time you are crossing to Calais, you could easily make
Chalons for the first night, stop the next at Macon, then through the Mont
Blanc or Frejus tunnel to Italy the next day. These are not long daily
drives - we tend to get off by 9.30 / 10 and usually are looking to stop
around 4-ish. So you can be in Italy easily in 3 days, or less if you want
to drive longer each day. Equally, you can go less far each day and take a
few days longer to get there. It all depends on your time available,
preferences, and so on. As you're retired, and maybe not in a rush to get
there and back in two or three weeks, I would take my time. There are lots
of interesting places to stop on the way.

You'll find Italy generally OK for driving, but watch out on some of the
motorways. In particular some of the on-ramps are very short, much more so
than either here or in France, and if you are joining a busy two lane
motorway via a 50 metre on-ramp, it can be quite exciting!!

Hope that helps. Safe journey.

Peter

Old April 19th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bedpan

Thanks Mate
Most informative,Looking ferward to the 50 metre on-ramps. Sheee !!!

Roger

Old April 19th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bedpan

Old April 19th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bedpan

Old April 19th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sarah and Lloyd

"bedpan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Mate
Most informative,Looking ferward to the 50 metre on-ramps. Sheee !!!

Roger

Must admit having read both postings it does make me want to try and take
our van down to Italy. Been there on holiday a couple of times (hotel not
van am afraid) and it is a gorgeous country, especially around the lakes,
but the drivers can eb a bit on the mad side.

Think im going to have to have a chat with the wife and discuss a trip
abroad!

Lloyd