Bed slat end

Old April 19th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geo

Default Bed slat end

Hi,

We're new to caravaning, and have just come back from our first week
away with our 2002 Sterling Trekker. The caravan was excellent, however
we did manage to break it. The end board on the pull out double bed
slats, sanpped in two.

On investigation I discovered that the previous owner had apparently
done the same and a very neat glue and screw repair had been done (we
broke the opposite end).

Is this a common thing to break, if so is there some better solution
than just repairing it or replacing it with a similar piece of wood ?

If this is something that breaks so easily I would have thought
somebody would have come up with a stronger solution, I thought maybe a
metal plate screwed onto the wood might help.

Are we just careless, or does anyone have any helpful ideas ?

Old April 19th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Geo wrote:

Hi,

We're new to caravaning, and have just come back from our first week
away with our 2002 Sterling Trekker. The caravan was excellent,
however we did manage to break it. The end board on the pull out
double bed slats, sanpped in two.

On investigation I discovered that the previous owner had apparently
done the same and a very neat glue and screw repair had been done (we
broke the opposite end).

Is this a common thing to break, if so is there some better solution
than just repairing it or replacing it with a similar piece of wood ?

If this is something that breaks so easily I would have thought
somebody would have come up with a stronger solution, I thought maybe
a metal plate screwed onto the wood might help.

Are we just careless, or does anyone have any helpful ideas ?

A similar thing happened with our Bailey caravan a few years ago. They tend
to be rather flimsy to save weight and, doubtless, cost. You are limited in
respect of using anything thicker, because it will not then retract properly
under a locker, or wherever.

I replaced ours with a much better quality piece of marine ply - but of the
same thickness as the original - and it has been fine ever since.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 19th 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Ours slipped off the long runners so I unscrewed them and packed them out a
bit to give a tighter fit.
I tried supporting the centre of the broad end slat with wood but then found
that my wife's tube spaghetti container was the exact height to go under
this board. We now place it under the board everytime we go to use the bed
and it works a treat.

oups.com...

Old April 19th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We're new to caravaning, and have just come back from our first week
away with our 2002 Sterling Trekker. The caravan was excellent, however
we did manage to break it. The end board on the pull out double bed
slats, sanpped in two.

On investigation I discovered that the previous owner had apparently
done the same and a very neat glue and screw repair had been done (we
broke the opposite end).

Is this a common thing to break, if so is there some better solution
than just repairing it or replacing it with a similar piece of wood ?

If this is something that breaks so easily I would have thought
somebody would have come up with a stronger solution, I thought maybe a
metal plate screwed onto the wood might help.

Are we just careless, or does anyone have any helpful ideas ?

Part Number 2406990, 15.32 plus VAT from your local Swift Group dealer, if
you want a matching one.

Cheers