wheel torque

Old April 19th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Default wheel torque

Our caravan is just back from its annual service and I decided to change the
SAS wheel clamp from one side to the other. This entailed undoing 2 studs
on each wheel.
I was shocked to find that the torque was in excess of 120 ft/lbs. The
recommended torque for these studs in our Bailey book is 65 ft/lbs.
Had we had a puncture away from home then there is no way that I could ever
have got the wheel off.
It is now another thing I shall have to try and remember after the next
service.

Old April 19th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:38:48 +0100, "Stewart"
wrote:

|Our caravan is just back from its annual service and I decided to change the
|SAS wheel clamp from one side to the other. This entailed undoing 2 studs
|on each wheel.
|I was shocked to find that the torque was in excess of 120 ft/lbs. The
|recommended torque for these studs in our Bailey book is 65 ft/lbs.
|Had we had a puncture away from home then there is no way that I could ever
|have got the wheel off.
|It is now another thing I shall have to try and remember after the next
|service.

In case of over tightened nuts, get a *long* lever and stand on it.
Then do then up right.
Old April 19th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 19th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Dave, luckily I used to do all my own maintenance on my cars including
fitting tow-bars so still had good socket sets etc.. As you say I used an
old iron tube about 1 metre long as an extension to the socket piece and
then got my wife to stand on it while I kept it in place.
My point was that when touring I just carry the normal equipment and I know
that my spider wheelbrace would never have loosened the studs.

Old April 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Old April 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Old April 20th 06, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:51:07 +0100, "Stewart"
wrote:

|Dave, luckily I used to do all my own maintenance on my cars including
|fitting tow-bars so still had good socket sets etc.. As you say I used an
|old iron tube about 1 metre long as an extension to the socket piece and
|then got my wife to stand on it while I kept it in place.
|My point was that when touring I just carry the normal equipment and I know
|that my spider wheelbrace would never have loosened the studs.

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:38:48 +0100, "Stewart"
| wrote:
|
| |Our caravan is just back from its annual service and I decided to change
|the
| |SAS wheel clamp from one side to the other. This entailed undoing 2
|studs
| |on each wheel.
| |I was shocked to find that the torque was in excess of 120 ft/lbs. The
| |recommended torque for these studs in our Bailey book is 65 ft/lbs.
| |Had we had a puncture away from home then there is no way that I could
|ever
| |have got the wheel off.
| |It is now another thing I shall have to try and remember after the next
| |service.
|
| In case of over tightened nuts, get a *long* lever and stand on it.
| Then do then up right.

Which is why I am a member of the RAC. The RAC vans contain all the tools
I *wish* I had at home, including long levers.
Old April 20th 06, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 20th 06, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning