Sat nav - follow up to previous thread

Old April 21st 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

Default Sat nav - follow up to previous thread

I have a TomTom system which works very well on my smartphone with a
bluetooth sat receiver.

It has both good and bad points.

When used locally where I know the area well, it often chooses a route
that I would not use by myself. The route would be perfectly good for a
stranger trying to find my location but is not the 'best route'

On Longer journeys it is invariably very quiet for long periods where
you are on a straight stretch of road but has had a habit on one or two
occasions of showing a position in the middle of a field instead of on a
road.

At the end of a long journey for pinpoint place finding it is excellent
but at the expense of sending you on a circuitous route. The timesaving
however is still very good.

With the speed camera add ins it warns of cameras within a user defined
distance. Although I am normally a law abiding citizen it is helpful
just as a reminder.

As a toy or as a point of sale clincher for a car salesman they are
excellent value for money. For driving in unknown territory they are
still good but bear in mind that they are not Cray computers.

George Hendry
Old April 21st 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"George Hendry" wrote in message
[...]

The exact same set up here

Small BT GPS cost me 40 and a mobile phone /Pda

The holder sits on the windscreen and looks just like it , is a mobile phone
holder.

USB charger sits in the fag lighter socket and looks just like a phone charger

When I'm not in the car the phone's in my pocket

Is it useful , in all honesty NO for 99 /100's of the time , but it took my to
some back streets in Bradford with no trouble this morning.

There was an existing RAF Navigator said on TV recently used in conjunction with
maps they were useful and reasonably accurate.

From experience if your using them as a speed trap avoidance gadget then they're
not worth the money, what ever any one says , the data bases are way out of date

DieSea

Old April 21st 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"George Hendry" wrote in message

With the speed camera add ins it warns of cameras within a user defined
distance. Although I am normally a law abiding citizen it is helpful just
as a reminder.

There are road signs to remind you :-)

Mary

Old April 21st 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"George Hendry" wrote in message

Although I am normally a law abiding citizen it is helpful just as a
reminder.

Strange, that's what Harold Shipman said as he read the directions on the
morphine bottles.

:-)

Dave.