Caravanning in Ireland ?

Old April 22nd 06, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Adrian Brentnall

Default Caravanning in Ireland ?

Hi All
Does anybody here have experience of caravanning in Ireland ?

We're planning on moving there soon to live - and can't decide if it's
worth taking th 'van with us - very much depends on what exists over
there in the way of touring sites.

We've been over there a few times on self-catering or b&b-style
holidays - and have met the occasional intrepid caravanner negotiating
little country lanes with steep hills and hairpin bends g...
but any personal experiences / advice would be welcome.

It's only a little 2-berth van, by the way - an old (1992) Craftsman
132...
It's either take it with us or sell it here - but I get the feeling
that it's probably worth a lot less than we paid the dealer for it a
few years ago g

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old April 22nd 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry Birch

Hi Adrian,
We usually tour S Ireland for approx 4-5 weeks every summer. The sites
there usually far superior to what we have in the UK. The roads are not as
bad as some people make out, in fact some of them are better than ours, you
will have no problem towing at the legal limit. When you get there I suggest
you go to: http://www.camping-ireland.ie/index.html , where you will find
all the info you need. Regarding taking it over there, it may be advisable
because caravan dealer in S Ireland are few and far between, motor caravans
are far more popular, for what it cost on the ferry I would take it.
Terry Birch
"Adrian Brentnall" adrian-the papers and the wrote
in message ...

Old April 22nd 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Hi All
Does anybody here have experience of caravanning in Ireland ?

We're planning on moving there soon to live - and can't decide if it's
worth taking th 'van with us - very much depends on what exists over
there in the way of touring sites.

It's now 6 years since I caravanned in Ireland, but had a great time, no
problem finding sites, by using a book I think called Caravanning in
Ireland which can be bought from the Camping Club I think.

Only down side, some of the roads then were a bit dodgy in the West and
central Ireland. i.e. potholes, and mad drivers, but you get that
anywhere! Thoroughly recommend County Clare, and Galway.

Old April 22nd 06, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Terry
Thanks for the reply

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:11:29 GMT, "Terry Birch"
wrote:

Hi Adrian,
We usually tour S Ireland for approx 4-5 weeks every summer.

Nice !
If our plans work out you must drop in next time ! g
We're aiming for somewhere around Skib and Ballydehob.

The sites
there usually far superior to what we have in the UK.

Interesting. In terms of facilities....?

The roads are not as
bad as some people make out, in fact some of them are better than ours, you
will have no problem towing at the legal limit. When you get there I suggest
you go to: http://www.camping-ireland.ie/index.html , where you will find
all the info you need.

Interesting. As I say - we've been over there quite a few times &
fallen in love with the place & the people. But, as you understand, if
you're not 'in a van' then you don't tend to notice the 'vanny'
features g. Nice to see the listing for the Achill Island sites -
spent a couple of nights in a Hotel there - lovely place !

Regarding taking it over there, it may be advisable
because caravan dealer in S Ireland are few and far between, motor caravans
are far more popular, for what it cost on the ferry I would take it.

Fairy nuff !
Thanks for the advice

Adrian