Gas level indicator

Old April 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default Gas level indicator

Have seen on ebay magnetic gas level indicators to place on the side of
Butane or Propane gas bottles. I understand the indicators work from a
reaction with crystals within the indicator sheet. Has anyone tried them
and are they effective and worth getting ?

mike

Old April 22nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Adrian Brentnall

HI Mike

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:45:06 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Have seen on ebay magnetic gas level indicators to place on the side of
Butane or Propane gas bottles. I understand the indicators work from a
reaction with crystals within the indicator sheet. Has anyone tried them
and are they effective and worth getting ?

I bought one of these.
It's a temperature-sensitive strip - and you position it on the side
of the gas cylinder so that it 'straddles' the level of liquid gas in
the tank.

When you run a gas appliance in the van, some of the liquid
evaporates, and the liquid gets colder - and the indicator shows the
level of the liquid.

I'm not sure that you can't do just a well by 'lifting' the cylinder,
listening to is sloshing, or (if you want to get scientific) using a
spring balance to weigh the thing....

Regards
Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

Old April 23rd 06, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:45:06 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

|Have seen on ebay magnetic gas level indicators to place on the side of
|Butane or Propane gas bottles. I understand the indicators work from a
|reaction with crystals within the indicator sheet. Has anyone tried them
|and are they effective and worth getting ?

Not for me. I always carry two bottles, one full, and one in use. When
the in use bottle stops working I start using the full one and get a refill
for the empty one. The in use one is always on my right hand side in the
front locker.

To find out how much gas is in a bottle I shake it next to my ear. I can
hear/feel the liquid sloshing round, or not, and feel the weight of the
bottle.
Old April 23rd 06, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 23rd 06, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 23rd 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
keith stone

Try this old soldiers method- trickle a cup full of warm water over the
cylinder then feel how warm the cylinder is, a definite change in
temperature can be felt at the level of the liquid gas.

"Mike" schreef in bericht