1st outing complete ...95% success. Advice now req'd

Old April 22nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Default 1st outing complete ...95% success. Advice now req'd

Hi All,

Just got back from a week at Skirlington, north of Hornsea. All went well
with the Sedona & Crusader Storm combo.

- Forgot the remotes for the telly/freeview box....doh! , but a workmate has
a static van there so he borrowed me his spare portable.
- A split o-ring on the carver heater drain plug, plus few popped bulbs
- Noticed a link strap rod for the front grab handle had snapped at the weld
joint, so thats a job to sort this week.

The advice I'm after is the following:-

1. My Storm (1998 ) has onboard water storage with an internal pump.
Intially I plugged in the crystal pump and started to feed it, but when
water started dripping out from underneath I realised I needed to close a
drain valve from inside. So having found this under the front seats I
proceeded to get another aquaroll full of water and carry on filling up the
system. All looked okay so I carried on doing other stuff.
5 mins later I noticed the crystal pump buzzing away and the aquaroll was
empty....huh!! So I get another 40ltrs and plug it in again and
watch.......This time water is coming out of another blue pipe on the front
underside, and upon further investigation it turns out to be an atmospheric
overflow pipe on the inboard tank.
So basically, my taps control an onboard water pump out of a tank which
seems to be open to atmosphere, but my crystal pump appears to be
permantently live and nothing is telling it to trip off !!
I've had all the cushions out and traced along to the water heater, but
there is no pressure control valve of any kind. The only noticeable thing is
there is another drain on the water heater with a red plastic plug device on
the pipe ( pressure relief ???)
The wiring diagram I have from Elddis is very general and gives me no clues.
My dad says his Trophy van ( no onboard water ) uses a pressure control
valve to trip the crystal pump but I'm sure mine has no such valve. The
only thing I can think of is that there is a level gauge sender device on
the onboard tank, and perhaps this 'should/could' be also acting as the trip
to stop the crystal pump????.

2. Following on from above, we didn't get a 'super-pitch' this time, but
other places we have lined up this year do have supers. So I need a few
metres of extra drain pipe in readiness.
The related query I have is that my Storm has also got a big water inlet
point, a bit like a petrol filler cap which goes straight into this same
onboard 'atmospheric' tank. If I get on a super pitch with a direct water
feed, what bits and pieces to I need to connect to it......and whats going
to stop the bloody thing from pushing water straight out the overflow like
the crystal pump?.

If the above rings any bells then please revert asap as I'm due away on
Mayday weekend @ Matlock a don't want to spend considerable amounts of time
stood outside my van plugging and unplugging my cystal pump to keep topping
up my onboard tank.......

Thx

Old April 22nd 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

[...]

You are working the system correctly. The external pump is there to fill the
tank. It is not controlled by the taps at all. The red plastic plug is a
drain plug. The switching of the water system is done on the supply side
only, so you either have a pressure switch shortly after the tank outlet, or
microswitches inside each tap. Your wiring diagram will give you a hint if
there is wiring to the taps, its microswitches.

Super pitch or fully serviced pitch will be no use to you for water supply
other than not having to walk so far to fill the tank.

Cheers

Old April 23rd 06, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stumo

Is it not possible to get some sort of valve thingy that automatically fills
up your aquaroll when it's empty?

Old April 23rd 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

The external pump is there to fill the tank. It is not controlled by the
taps at all.

Yes, fully understood. Onboard system and taps work a treat.

The red plastic plug is a drain plug.

This was only present on the drain under the carver heater though, i.e. NOT
under the onboard tank.

The switching of the water system is done on the supply side

only, so you either have a pressure switch shortly after the tank outlet, or
microswitches inside each tap. Your wiring diagram will give you a hint if
there is wiring to the taps, its microswitches.
Yes, definately works off microswitches off all taps ( sink , basin ,
shower )

Super pitch or fully serviced pitch will be no use to you for water supply

other than not having to walk so far to fill the tank.
So do you mean that all this 'petrol filler cap' is for is to just manually
stick a hose into and run the tap every half day to fill ? ( 7 gallon tank
doesn't go far for a family of five )

You are working the system correctly

It seems bizarre if you ask me that this luxury end bathroom van with
air-con etc has got to rely on the user ramming a pump into the permanently
live crystal socket , standing outside like a burke watching for water to
come out of the overflow, then ripping out the pump and having a 1/2 metre
head of water gushing out out of the inlet all over his feet. Surely this
can't be right! If this is the case it would be far simpler to just have the
microswitches just control the outside pump and just bypass the onboard
system entirely.... I am sure something MUST trip this crystal pump.

I have spotted a few 99 Crusaders on Ebay and applying a little cheek to see
if the sellers can explain how they operated their water systems. I'll
follow up when they revert