Reinforced Tyres

Old April 23rd 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Kubicixfactor

Default Reinforced Tyres

I've got a Penning Pathfinder folding camper - max gross weight is
around 1000k. The tyres on this are 165/80/R13 82T-which is a load
index of (I think) 475kgs per tyre. The tyres have a noticable bulge at
the bottom in normal use although the unit certainly isn't loaded to
its maximum.

I queried this with Pennine who advised that there is a 10% allowable
increase in the load index because the tyres shouldn't exceed 60mph -
so although the tyres are rated below the max weight, it is legally
acceptable. However I'm a bit concerned about the bulge.

Anyone got any advice about fitting reinforced or 8 ply tyres? Will
these remove the bulge and will they also make it easier to manouver
the unit over grass? Any advice on suitable manufacturers appreciated.

Old April 23rd 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Kubicixfactor wrote:

I've got a Penning Pathfinder folding camper - max gross weight is
around 1000k. The tyres on this are 165/80/R13 82T-which is a load
index of (I think) 475kgs per tyre. The tyres have a noticable bulge
at the bottom in normal use although the unit certainly isn't loaded
to its maximum.

I queried this with Pennine who advised that there is a 10% allowable
increase in the load index because the tyres shouldn't exceed 60mph -
so although the tyres are rated below the max weight, it is legally
acceptable. However I'm a bit concerned about the bulge.

Anyone got any advice about fitting reinforced or 8 ply tyres? Will
these remove the bulge and will they also make it easier to manouver
the unit over grass? Any advice on suitable manufacturers appreciated.

To quote from the NTTA information . .
"An increase of 10% over the load capacity quoted in the tables is permitted
when tyres are fitted to caravans and light trailers with a maximum
operating speed up to 100 km/h. (60 m.p.h.). The basic inflation pressure
should be increased by 3 p.s.i. / 0.2 bar."

Have you increased the tyre pressure, like it says?

The same site suggests running 165x13 tyres at 36psi with an axle load of up
to 1045Kg when restricted to 60mph - compared with 33psi with an axle load
of 950Kg at up to 81mph. It doesn't specifically mention the profile - so is
presumably based on standard 95% tyres - but I assume it will also apply to
your 80% tyres.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 24th 06, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Kubicixfactor

Roger, thanks for this. The figures suggest that I'm OK as long as I
stick to 60MPH (which I do). I've tried increasing the pressure to
36PSI but the bulge persists, which is still concerning me since this
suggests that the sidewall is under excessive strain.

Cheers
Steve

Old April 24th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Kubicixfactor wrote:

Roger, thanks for this. The figures suggest that I'm OK as long as I
stick to 60MPH (which I do). I've tried increasing the pressure to
36PSI but the bulge persists, which is still concerning me since this
suggests that the sidewall is under excessive strain.

Cheers
Steve

The weight is supported by the air rather than the sidewalls, anyway. Being
slightly lower profile than bog-standard radials is probably going to make
them look more bulgey.

The acid test is whether or not excessive sidewall flexing makes them run
hot enough to self-destruct. All the indications are that this should not be
a problem with your particular setup. Feel the tyres after a run of 20 miles
or so. Unless they're too hot to touch, don't worry.

If you were to fit re-inforced or 6 or 8 ply tyres, you'd *still* have a
bulge if you ran them at the same pressure. You'd only get rid of it by
inflating them to the higher pressures which they would stand - but you'd
then run the risk of shaking your trailer to bits!
--
Cheers,
Roger