Care & feeding of Leisure Battery

Old April 23rd 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Adrian Brentnall

Default Care & feeding of Leisure Battery

Hi All
It looks as if the leisure battery from our van is defunct.
Trouble is - we didn't take the van touring last year (for a number of
reasons) - so the battery just sat there, getting flatter &
flatter.....

Now it's reading about 5v, and doesn't want to charge up - despite
treating it to some of those magic tablets. g

I've been doing some reading on the web - and it seems that there are
several schools of thought on how to care for a leisure battery.

a) Charge regularly when not in use
b) As (a) - but also add an electronic 'pulser' circuit to the battery
to keep it in tip-top condition

possibly (c) - add a small solar panel to trickle-charge the battery
on those odd occasions when the sun's shining... g

What does everybody else do ?
We're not 'regular' caravanners - so the battery's not going to get
regular use - but it'd be nice if the new one that I buy lasted a bit
longer than the two years (or one season) that the old one managed !

While on the subject - I see that the price of batteries varies quite
considerably - any guidance on the best trade-off between cost and
longevity ?

Many thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old April 23rd 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:53:48 +0100, Adrian Brentnall adrian-the
papers and the wrote:

Hi All
It looks as if the leisure battery from our van is defunct.
Trouble is - we didn't take the van touring last year (for a number of
reasons) - so the battery just sat there, getting flatter &
flatter.....

Now it's reading about 5v, and doesn't want to charge up - despite
treating it to some of those magic tablets. g

That sounds dead.

I've been doing some reading on the web - and it seems that there are
several schools of thought on how to care for a leisure battery.

a) Charge regularly when not in use
b) As (a) - but also add an electronic 'pulser' circuit to the battery
to keep it in tip-top condition

possibly (c) - add a small solar panel to trickle-charge the battery
on those odd occasions when the sun's shining... g

What does everybody else do ?

I have two batteries, one which sits in the garage that I use when we
go out to sites that have no electric, and the one which is fitted in
the caravan. The one in the garage gets used a couple of times a year
but I put it on charge every couple of months to make sure that it is
always ready to use. I have had this battery now for 5 years and there
is little sign of deterioration. The battery fitted in the caravan
gets charged each time before we go away ( about once a month March to
October and a couple of time in the winter ) and is on charge the
whole time we are away, all the charging on this battery is done by
the caravans charging system.
I bought my first caravan battery in 1992, and added a second in 1994.
The fist battery lived and was used up until 2001 when I bought the
one that I have in the garage. The second I used until 2003 when I
left it in the caravan that I traded for the one I have now. The one
in the caravan was a fitment in the new van. The first two were 85 amp
batteries bought as the cheapest availble from caravan dealers, the
third was a 110 amp battery again cheapest possible. the one in the
caravan is a gel battery and seem to hold up very well but I would
hate to think how much it would cost to replace ( but it does no
better a job than the others )

While on the subject - I see that the price of batteries varies quite
considerably - any guidance on the best trade-off between cost and
longevity ?

Go to your local caravan dealer and buy one of his cheapies, they work
well and with just a little care last well. Buy from the caravan
dealer because he probably sells more leisure batteries than anyone
else and so his batteries are likely to have stood on the shelf for a
shorter time.

Bill Lord