Funny Tasting Water

Old April 24th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
puffernutter

Default Funny Tasting Water

We have a 1998 Avondale Dart 515/4. Used 6 or 7 times a year. Before
using the van I always flush the water system through with 5 gallons of
diluted Milton (or Tesco equivalent) and then flush the whole lot
through with 10 gallons of clean water.

Regardless of this on site I still end up with a "taste" to the water
which gives it a different flavour to water direct from the taps on
sites. It has such an effect that these days we get our drinking water
in a separate container and do not use the caravan water system for
drinking (even when boiled it still tastes "funny").

We therefore have something in our pipes that affects the taste of the
water. Apart from replacing all the cold water pipes (I have checked
the water containers and it is not them) is there any other "product" I
can use to flush the system with?

Cheers

Peter

Old April 24th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"puffernutter" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a 1998 Avondale Dart 515/4. Used 6 or 7 times a year. Before
using the van I always flush the water system through with 5 gallons of
diluted Milton (or Tesco equivalent) and then flush the whole lot
through with 10 gallons of clean water.

Regardless of this on site I still end up with a "taste" to the water
which gives it a different flavour to water direct from the taps on
sites. It has such an effect that these days we get our drinking water
in a separate container and do not use the caravan water system for
drinking (even when boiled it still tastes "funny").

We therefore have something in our pipes that affects the taste of the
water. Apart from replacing all the cold water pipes (I have checked
the water containers and it is not them) is there any other "product" I
can use to flush the system with?

It might taste 'funny' (i.e. different) but it's not going to do you any
harm. It's one of the excitements of camping :-)

Mary

Old April 24th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 24 Apr 2006 03:36:55 -0700, "puffernutter"
wrote:

|We have a 1998 Avondale Dart 515/4. Used 6 or 7 times a year. Before
|using the van I always flush the water system through with 5 gallons of
|diluted Milton (or Tesco equivalent) and then flush the whole lot
|through with 10 gallons of clean water.

You did replace the filter didn't you?
Milton could still be in the filter.

|Regardless of this on site I still end up with a "taste" to the water
|which gives it a different flavour to water direct from the taps on
|sites. It has such an effect that these days we get our drinking water
|in a separate container and do not use the caravan water system for
|drinking (even when boiled it still tastes "funny").
|
|We therefore have something in our pipes that affects the taste of the
|water. Apart from replacing all the cold water pipes (I have checked
|the water containers and it is not them) is there any other "product" I
|can use to flush the system with?

Try Puriclean rather than Milton it contains a detergent, which should
dislodge any wildlife in the pipes. Afterwards replace the filter and
wash the system out *well* Puriclean it definitely tastes.
Old April 24th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 24th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 24th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

We therefore have something in our pipes that affects the taste of the
water. Apart from replacing all the cold water pipes (I have checked
the water containers and it is not them) is there any other "product" I
can use to flush the system with?

Puricleans is the stuff you need, fill your aquaroll with a solution
and leave for 12 hours then pump the barrel full through the system
making sure that all the taps are open and when it is complete leave
the solution in the pipes for another 12 hours and rinse out your
barrel. Then pump a couple or three barrels full of clean water
through the system, and leave the clean water in the pipes. This will
get rid of the plasticy taste at least for the trip you are going on.
It is worthwhile doing this each time you use the van.
Mind you I got fed up of doing this and now carry a gallon water
container that I use for drinking water only, and never drink the
stuff that comes out of the tap. It's much easier. Unlees you are
lucky every system will start to have this problem after some time of
usage. My first new van lasted about 9 months before I noticed the
problem, the second new van di something similar. The ones I bought
secondhand all had the problem when I got them.

Bill Lord