caravaning virgin - Help

Old April 25th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
helen

Default caravaning virgin - Help

Hi Folks,

Great site so I thought I's ask for some help. I just bought a 1991
swift silhoutte and unfortunately it did not come with a manual. The
man who sold me it didn't seem to have much idea how everything should
work and to be honest I probably didn't push hard enough.

Would anyone know how I could get hold of a manual? I would be so
greatful for any ideas..

1 I can't get the fridge to work off eith gas (not igniting) or
electric hook up.
2 The lights only work of 12 volt, is this right?
3 the emersion heater isnt working of the mains.

I need to find some info about the wiring and circuts etc.

Sorry to be long winded but I'm getting very frustrated with it.

Thanks

Helen

Old April 25th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"helen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Folks,

Great site so I thought I's ask for some help. I just bought a 1991
swift silhoutte and unfortunately it did not come with a manual. The
man who sold me it didn't seem to have much idea how everything should
work and to be honest I probably didn't push hard enough.

Would anyone know how I could get hold of a manual? I would be so
greatful for any ideas..

1 I can't get the fridge to work off eith gas (not igniting) or
electric hook up.
2 The lights only work of 12 volt, is this right?
3 the emersion heater isnt working of the mains.

I need to find some info about the wiring and circuts etc.

Sorry to be long winded but I'm getting very frustrated with it.

Thanks

Helen

The things you mention are mostly common to all caravans, not just one
model.

I suggest that you beg, borrow, steal or even buy a copy of the Haynes'
Caravan Manual, which is the caravanner's do-it-all handbook. You won't go
wrong. And, of course, ask on this group but be prepared for thread drift
and even contradictions ;-)

Mary

Old April 25th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"helen" wrote in
oups.com:

1 I can't get the fridge to work off eith gas (not igniting) or
electric hook up.

Can't help here - perhaps if you gave the model number of the fridge we
could help more.

2 The lights only work of 12 volt, is this right?

That was the case on my 1991 (ish) ABI. The mains recharged the battery,
which worked the lights, water pump, etc. The only only things that worked
directly off the mains were two 240v sockets and the 3-way fridge.

3 the emersion heater isnt working of the mains.

At that age, it will probably be a Carver Cascade or Carver Cascade 2. In
either case, there would not have been an immersion heater and the water
heater would run off gas alone. If it is a Cascade 2, I have a PDF of the
instructions that might help - let me know if it would. That said, it's
simple enough to operate.

HTH,

--
Geoff

Old April 27th 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

helen wrote:

1 I can't get the fridge to work off eith gas (not igniting) or
electric hook up.

It's highly likely that dust is stopping it ignite, or gas not getting
through for the same reason. When you try to light the gas in the
fridge, look to see if the ignition is sparking, if so, keep trying
until the gas comes through or the dust disappears.

Helen