spare wheel carrier dropping of

Old April 25th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
b.teece

Default spare wheel carrier dropping of

Has anybody had a problem with a spare wheel carrier that was fitted to in
my case a Lifestyle 530 SE caravan supplied by Barrons of Burtree falling of
their caravan? I do not know the make of carrier that was fitted but it is
not an Alko, judging from the photo's of their models on their website. This
make consisted of 2 plates, each 3 inches wide, 1/16 thick and approx 5 to
6 long, bent at one end to form a U shape. This U hooked through the cut
outs of the chassis just rear of the axle. Suspended between these plates
was the bar holding the spare wheel.

In my case the carrier broke away from my caravan without my knowledge
believe it or not, leaving the above plates still attached to my van. On
inspection of the edges of the plates it appears that the plates have been
stressed by the action of the caravan movement on the road causing the
weight of the spare wheel to bent the plates one way then the other causing
them stress and to crack. This is shown by the edges of the plates having a
rust type colour from the middle out over to about inch from each side on
both plates where the colour is silver indicating a fresh break. This
occurrence is potentially dangerous and as such I am trying to find out if
anybody else has had this experience and if the above description fits the
wheel carrier they had at the time.

Barrons are also suppose to be trying to find the manufacture to see if they
know of a problem with the carrier and also if it would still be under
warranty as the van is only 2 years old and therefore the carrier is only 2
years old.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Old April 28th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin McGowan

b.teece wrote:
[...]

if Barrons won't do anything have a word with trading standards, this is
a sale of goods problem, poor design/manufacture/fitting leads to
failure, therefore down to supplier to rectify as it was evidently
faulty from the start, is the silver bit chrystalline as if so that
would be evidence of a stress fracture, caused by cracks being induced
during manufacture (The rusty bit, if on the break line) and there not
being enough material to withstand the flexing under load.

Martin McGowan