Caravan Alarms

Old April 28th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ferg

Default Caravan Alarms

Hi yawl,

Any1 recommend any caravan alarms ? i've seen some naff ones and some
bloody good but expensive ones.

So any1 recommend one .. whats it like on battery drain etcetc?

All assistance appreciated

regards

Ferg

Old April 30th 06, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Ferg wrote:
Hi yawl,

Any1 recommend any caravan alarms ? i've seen some naff ones and some
bloody good but expensive ones.

So any1 recommend one .. whats it like on battery drain etcetc?

All assistance appreciated

regards

Ferg

Hi

I had the same problem as you, there either naff or over priced.
I bought a car alarm of Ebay and fitted it my self.
I've got two remotes to arm/disarm and I only protect the main door
with a magnetic switch rather then use PIR's, which are very prone to
false alarms. When time permits I may protect the door lockers and
sense the steadies being wound up.
Some nice flashing LED also act as a good deterrent.
Battery drainage is not an issue with me since it's always on mains
hook-up.
I suggest you follow this route if you're a competent DIYer.

Bob

Old May 7th 06, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:02:49 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

explained :
Ferg wrote:
Hi yawl,

Any1 recommend any caravan alarms ? i've seen some naff ones and some
bloody good but expensive ones.

So any1 recommend one .. whats it like on battery drain etcetc?

Hi

I had the same problem as you, there either naff or over priced.
I bought a car alarm of Ebay and fitted it my self.

Could I suggest a motorcycle alarm might be even more suitable?

Bike batteries are much lower amp hour capacity (though still 12v),
therefore the designs of the alarms tend towards ultra low battery
drain when in use. My own bike alarm draws a fraction of a milliamp
when active.

Hi,

I purchased a Col-Concept Alarm from eBay - got PIR sensor,tilt
sensor, leg sensor, voltage and hook-up sensor - cost 100 but you pay
for what get - installed myself to my Sterling Eccles 4 berth - not
easy but not difficult and you get a discount on CC Insurance.

Voltage drain in average but has 9v battery backup - which is supposed
to last for up to 3 months - 2 x key fobs with option for awning light
control.

Overall no guarantees of never being broken into - but a little piece
of mind when you leave you van on-site and go out for the day !

Cheers,

Kim