Caravan Insurance

Old April 28th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Colin Williams

Default Caravan Insurance

Advice please. Is caravan insurance mandatory ? If not, and the car and
caravan is the cause of an accident will the normal car insurance cover the
costs or would the caravan insurance libel for the costs.

Many thanks

Colin Williams

Old April 28th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Colin Williams wrote:

Advice please. Is caravan insurance mandatory ? If not, and the car
and caravan is the cause of an accident will the normal car insurance
cover the costs or would the caravan insurance libel for the costs.

Many thanks

Colin Williams

Most car insurance policies will cover you for *third-party* claims while
you are towing a trailer or caravan. So if you damage someone else's
property with your caravan while it is being towed, you car insurance will
cover you.

However, it *won't* cover any damge to the caravan itself. A caravan
insurance policy - whilst not being mandatory - will typically cover you
for:
* accidental damage to the caravan and contents - whether being towed or not
* theft of the caravan and/or contents
* public liability arising from the use of your caravan - e.g. if your
negligence results in injury to another person while you are on a caravan
site

The car insurance policy won't cover *any* of these things - which is why
most caravanners find it worthwhile to have a caravan insurance policy
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 28th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:56:37 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Colin Williams wrote:
[...]

Colin

To follow up Rogers comments and to give a real-life example. I had an
accident where my caravan, while being towed, went into the back of another
vehicle. No damage to my car, to tow vehicle.
My car insurance covered the damage to the other vehicle and my caravan
insurance paid for the repairs to my caravan.

Richard
Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ - caravanning,
http://www.rcole.org/ - personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk
because I loves the domain name for email.
--
....and so, as the two turtle doves of time drown in the fish tank of eternity,
and the ten lords-a-leaping blast the partridge of plenty from the pear tree