Battery problems

Old May 1st 06, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Default Battery problems

I'm having problems with the caravan battery going flat excessively quickly
(even with a new battery). I was also having problems with the water pump
(not switching off properly). My friendly local caravan dealer adjusted the
pressure switch, and we fitted a new pump - the old one seemed to cause an
excessive drop in the battery voltage when it was running. Certainly on
checking the new pump against the old the resistance across the old one's
terminals was much less, so it would have been taking a lot more current.

However, I've also noticed that the Fanmaster fan also seems to take rather
a lot of current when it is running - also seeming to cause an excessive
drop in the battery voltage when it was running - and I'm wondering if this
might also be part of the problem, as when it's cold we do tend to leave it
on all night.

Any observations?

Keith

Old May 1st 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

In my last caravan, an Avondale I had continual problems with the battery
going flat. It was being caused by an "open" circuit. I was told that the
battery continually "drained" to earth.
Check and see if current is flowing even with everything off.
Sorry I can't write any more as, despite the weather forecast being poor, I
am leaving in an hour to go to the Trossachs for a week with the caravan .

Old May 1st 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Keith Dunbar (2) wrote:

[...]

I'm not totally clear whether the battery is going flat when the caravan is
not in use, or whether this only happens when the van is occupied but not
connected to a mains hookup?

I had a problem with the battery in my 1991 Bailey going flat when the van
wasn't in use. I eventually traced this to the changeover switch which
determines whether 12v accessories are powered from the van's battery or
from the car. I used to leave this switch in the 'car' position, in the
belief that this would prevent any accidental current drain from the caravan
battery. What I didn't realise was that, in the 'car' position, a relay -
powered from whatever source was available - was energised!

If your problem only happens when the van is occupied, it's probably just
down to the fact that you're using too much electricity! The problem with
modern vans is they're really only viable when used on a mains supply.
Things like the fan for the blown hot air system may run directly off 12v -
but will not do so for very long unless the battery is being re-charged by
the mains.

It may be instructive to insert an ammeter into the battery circuit, and
measure how much current is taken by each device. Then, using the amp-hour
capacity of the battery, you can work out for how long each device - on its
own - would run before flattening the battery. Only then can you determine
whether you have a problem which is *not* explained by your usage pattern.

If you want to stay on non-mains sites for longer than your battery can
systain, you might consider carrying a spare battery in the car - being
charged via a split charging system - so that it gets charged up while you
are out and about. Then just swap batteries as necessary. Another
alternative is to use a wind turbine and/or solar panel to keep the caravan
battery topped up.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 1st 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Just to clarify - my problem is with the battery going flat when the van is
in use but not connected to mains hook-up, and the only items being used
regularly are water pump and fan, plus the odd light or two. The battery
has occasionally gone flat when the van is unoccupied - I had assumed that
was because the battery was past its sell-by date. Of course the alarm is
on when the van is unoccupied, so I have to leave the power switched to
"Van". So I wonder if there is anything else going on?

Keith