stop in a layby over night

Old May 1st 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary G Jones

Default stop in a layby over night

Is there any reason why I could not pull over with the caravan into a
parking space (lay-by )and sleep the night and then carry on the next day.
Cheers
Gary

Old May 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Gary G Jones wrote:

|| Is there any reason why I could not pull over with the caravan into a
|| parking space (lay-by )and sleep the night and then carry on the
|| next day. Cheers
|| Gary

Think of the flimsy structure surrounding you, and what the result might be
if a car or truck ran into you in the lay-by while you were asleep, and then
find a place well away from the road, if you can.

Having seen the result of this happening, I don't even park my car in a
lay-by unless I have to, and then only for as short a time as possible.

As to the legality, I'm pretty sure that it isn't legal unless you have
permission from the landowner (whoever that is). The police will move you
on.

A few quid for a quiet site close to the road you're on seems a reasonable
expenditure for a safe and uninterrupted night's sleep.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old May 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old May 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old May 1st 06, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary G Jones

Think of the flimsy structure surrounding you, and what the result might
be
if a car or truck ran into you in the lay-by while you were asleep, and
then find a place well away from the road, if you can.

Having seen the result of this happening, I don't even park my car in a
lay-by unless I have to, and then only for as short a time as possible.

As to the legality, I'm pretty sure that it isn't legal unless you have
permission from the landowner (whoever that is). The police will move you
on.

A few quid for a quiet site close to the road you're on seems a reasonable
expenditure for a safe and uninterrupted night's sleep.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

I was thinking more of a lay-by that's a little off the main road, the ones
separated by a grass verge or a line of trees from the main road itself, is
it different for lorry drivers when it comes to parking up and sleeping in
lay-by's, only ask as the one down the road from where I live is regularly
used by the same lorry drivers for over night stops, I know they are on a
tacho so I suppose they have a little less choice.
I only ask as I like the idea of hitching up and just driving , without a
plan of where to go and when to get there etc. that's why I ask about the
lay-by's as a last resort , late at night, can't stay awake anymore sort of
thing.
Cheers Gary

Old May 1st 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Gary G Jones wrote:

||| Think of the flimsy structure surrounding you, and what the result
||| might be
||| if a car or truck ran into you in the lay-by while you were asleep,
||| and then find a place well away from the road, if you can.
||| Having seen the result of this happening, I don't even park my car
||| in a lay-by unless I have to, and then only for as short a time as
||| possible.
||| As to the legality, I'm pretty sure that it isn't legal unless you
||| have permission from the landowner (whoever that is). The police
||| will move you on.
||| A few quid for a quiet site close to the road you're on seems a
||| reasonable expenditure for a safe and uninterrupted night's sleep.
||| --
||| Rich
||| ==============================
||| I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.
|| I was thinking more of a lay-by that's a little off the main road,
|| the ones separated by a grass verge or a line of trees from the main
|| road itself, is it different for lorry drivers when it comes to
|| parking up and sleeping in lay-by's, only ask as the one down the
|| road from where I live is regularly used by the same lorry drivers
|| for over night stops, I know they are on a tacho so I suppose they
|| have a little less choice.
|| I only ask as I like the idea of hitching up and just driving ,
|| without a plan of where to go and when to get there etc. that's why
|| I ask about the lay-by's as a last resort , late at night, can't
|| stay awake anymore sort of thing.
|| Cheers Gary

Lorry drivers have the ultimate answer - you can't move me on, I'm on my
rest period. I've heard this used several times when a 40-tonne artic is
occupying the only caravan space left at a service area. :-(

With them, I think it's probably the police turning a blind eye.
Technically, you are not allowed to "overnight" anywhere except where you
have permission. However, I am sure a lot of people do it and get away with
it.

When you said "lay-by" I had a picture of cars whizzing past 3 feet away. A
separated area is better, although I think I would still be somewhat
concerned about security - enough to stop me sleeping too well, in any case.

--
Rich

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old May 1st 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old May 1st 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman