Towing mirror

Old May 1st 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sue

Default Towing mirror

Having moved up from a trailer tent to large folding camper we find
ourselves now needing to purchase a pair of caravan towing mirrors to tow
our unit safely. Having looked there seems to be a few choices in design.
Have any of you knowledgeable campers got any advice on which design/make
performs best? or which ones if any to avoid?
Thanks
Sue

Old May 1st 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

I expect I will get a lot of flaming for my suggestion, but I have always
used the Canadian type which fits on the bonnet opening (two rubber
protected feet) and fastens under the wing lip (spring loaded, rubber
protected hook). They are very stable and can be angled to see clearly down
both sides of the van (if you purchase a pair). They are available from
Towsure and other good caravan accessory stockists. I would not tow without
them as clear visibility is a prerequisite for safe towing.

All the best, Peter.

Old May 2nd 06, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Mon, 1 May 2006 23:35:36 +0100, "Sue"
wrote:

Having moved up from a trailer tent to large folding camper we find
ourselves now needing to purchase a pair of caravan towing mirrors to tow
our unit safely. Having looked there seems to be a few choices in design.
Have any of you knowledgeable campers got any advice on which design/make
performs best? or which ones if any to avoid?
Thanks
Sue

I use the type with the suction pads that stick onto your existing
mirrors. Adjustment is very easy using the electric controls of your
car mirrors and they are rated upto 120 miles per hour. I was a bit
sceptical at first but I've been using them for about a year now and
would strongly recommend them to anyone. I've had a couple of
occasions where one fell off when the suction cup hadn't gripped
properly but if you make sure they are secure before you set off
they're usually fine. They come with an elasticated safety strap just
in case.

Have a look here http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=9812

....Ludwig

Old May 2nd 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

"Sue" wrote in message
Having moved up from a trailer tent to large folding camper we find
ourselves now needing to purchase a pair of caravan towing mirrors to tow
our unit safely. Having looked there seems to be a few choices in design.
Have any of you knowledgeable campers got any advice on which design/make
performs best? or which ones if any to avoid?
Thanks
Sue

I also use the ones with a suction pad that fits on the existing mirror,
they really do work.

You may find the following comments useful

1. The mirror and suction pad must both be completely dry otherwise they
don't stick.
2. Don't use your heated mirrors or they do come unstuck.
3. The mirrors are quite small but I think if they were any bigger they
would have problems
4. I bought one flat for the nearside and a convex for the offside, wish I
had bought two convex .
5. The convex gives a great field of view but needs some getting use to
especially at night as overtaking vehicles on a motorway are a lot closer
than they appear!!

Having said all that I think they are the best towing mirrors I have had

Tony Falla