Complete Newbie. Where to start?

Old May 2nd 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gadgetman

Default Complete Newbie. Where to start?

Okay I think I am ready to take the plunge and buy a caravan. As a kid we
used to have a vw caravannete and to be honest this has put me off until
now. For the last 10 years we have always gone abroad and stopped in good
quality hotels. But now my first child has started school and I am
struggling to justify the costs during summer holidays to go abroad. (also
Florida in the hurricane season is not at the top of my wishes) So I thought
why not buy a caravan and explore the wonders in this country during the
summer as well as a few long weekends away. I can then have a couple of
weeks in Jan etc and still visit Florida.

So where do I start. I have a figure of 5000 in my head which wrote off
over a couple of years will pay for itself. But what recommendations does
anyone have for a suitable model for a 4 berth caravan. Is there a website
to compare different makes and models. Also would the Citroen Picasso cope
with towing a caravan.
Also are there many other younger people endulging in this recreation. So
many questions so little time so any help and advice gratefully received.

Gadgetman

Old May 2nd 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Slee

On Tue, 02 May 2006 18:28:02 +0100, Gadgetman
wrote:

[...]

Caravanning is great for some but not all.
Have you ever spent time on a campsite? It's not for everyone, some
absolutely love it, others can't handle the basic facilities compared to
the quality hotels you're used to.
5000 will buy you a decent caravan in the 7 - 10 year range. Study the
web and find out more information on the No.1 fear, ie DAMP!!!
Your car's recommended towing limits can be found here
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/ci...htm#xsarapic02
Looking at those weights you'll be OK towing a medium size caravan. My
Avondale Ulysses (5 Berth) would be just about OK for towing with your car.

--
Gareth

Random Thoughts and Interests
http://web.mac.com/gaslee/iWeb/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Old May 2nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gadgetman

As a child I spent weeks away camping but feel this is a little basic for my
needs.
I did spend a week away in a static caravan on a Haven site. Enjoyed the
caravan and never really spent a lot of time on site just exploring the area
etc.

Old May 2nd 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Gadgetman brought next idea :
So where do I start. I have a figure of 5000 in my head which wrote off over
a couple of years will pay for itself. But what recommendations does anyone
have for a suitable model for a 4 berth caravan.

You will quickly either love it or hate it. Why not invest a much
smaller amount, buy something much more basic - try it for a few odd
weekends away and see how that goes?

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk