12v Kettle

Old May 3rd 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Default 12v Kettle

Anyone know of a 12v kettle that is any good ? by that I mean will boil in a
few mins and not about 20
--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old May 3rd 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Tinkapace wrote:

Anyone know of a 12v kettle that is any good ? by that I mean will
boil in a few mins and not about 20

Not really feasible! Even at 1kW (compared with a domestic kettle's 2.5 -
3kw) you'd need 83 amps at 12v - think what size wire you'd need, and how
quickly you'd flatten the battery!

Unless you know of a way of defeating the laws of physics, the best you can
hope for is one of those little hand-held immersion heaters which will heat
a *cup* (but not a kettleful!) of water - and will probably still take
nearer 20 than a 'few' minutes.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 3rd 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 3 May 2006 17:23:04 +0100, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

|In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
|Tinkapace wrote:
|
| Anyone know of a 12v kettle that is any good ? by that I mean will
| boil in a few mins and not about 20
|
|Not really feasible! Even at 1kW (compared with a domestic kettle's 2.5 -
|3kw) you'd need 83 amps at 12v - think what size wire you'd need, and how
|quickly you'd flatten the battery!
|
|Unless you know of a way of defeating the laws of physics, the best you can
|hope for is one of those little hand-held immersion heaters which will heat
|a *cup* (but not a kettleful!) of water - and will probably still take
|nearer 20 than a 'few' minutes.

Agreed IME the are not worth having.
Old May 3rd 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 3rd 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 3rd 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Tinkapace brought next idea :
Anyone know of a 12v kettle that is any good ? by that I mean will boil in a
few mins and not about 20

That is just not possible....

Speed of boiling equals the wattage of the kettle. Assume 1,200 watts
divided by 12v that would mean suppling it with 100amps. imagine both
the size of cable, plug and battery to be able to supply that kind of
load. Imagine having to recharge such a battery, never mind tow a
caravan with such a large battery in.

The small car type water heaters are low wattage (100 w ?), take a long
time to boil and can only be used with the vehicle engine running.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk