Charging

Old May 3rd 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default Charging

I know it is often a subject of posts here but I am still confused re
chargers and charging a leisure battery while on site.
I tend to use the battery till it is down in the yellow and put the charger
on for a few hours only to get it back up in the green.
But what happens if we leave it on all the time?
Many years ago I was told by a battery salesman to always run a battery down
and recharge as it reduced the memory effect and kept the amount of energy
available at it peak. Keeping a battery fully charged or not using it much
before recharging wasted the rest of its capacity. Rather like a mussel, use
it and its strong not and it gets tired quickly.
But does it make any difference to leave the charger on all the time, will
it fry the battery? 1 Year old van by the way 85 amp new battery.
Are the new chargers fitted by Abbey the maintaining type?
Regards

Peter

Peter
PAM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 03/05/2006
Tested on: 03/05/2006 19:09:33

Old May 3rd 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

--

Hi Peter,

Acid batteries do not get a memory, that was a feature of early Ni-cads.

If you are on a mains site, leave the charger on. The charger in your Abbey
will not fry the battery, but they can be a bit electrically noisy when
working hard. Its a pain if your trying to listen to the radio and you get
an annoying hiss from the charger.

Cheers

Old May 3rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

[email protected] home wrote:

|| "Peter" wrote in message
||| I know it is often a subject of posts here but I am still confused
||| re chargers and charging a leisure battery while on site.
||| I tend to use the battery till it is down in the yellow and put the
||| charger on for a few hours only to get it back up in the green.
||| But what happens if we leave it on all the time?

|| If you are on a mains site, leave the charger on. The charger in
|| your Abbey will not fry the battery, but they can be a bit
|| electrically noisy when working hard. Its a pain if your trying to
|| listen to the radio and you get an annoying hiss from the charger.

Don't leave it on full time though. I fried the battery in my Swift by
leaving it on charge while at home (we are always popping in and out, it
seemed sensible). I treated it as a no-maintenance car battery, when in
fact it needed regular inspection and topping up with distilled water. I
haven't needed to do that to a car battery in years, and I had forgotten.
Mind, it lasted three years with that treatment. It failed deep in France
on the first day of the holiday, and my van now sports a dinky Citroen car
battery which works just fine.

Leaving the charger on while on site (when you are using the battery
constantly) seems a good idea, though, and won't do any harm.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old May 3rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old May 3rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old May 3rd 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , "[email protected] home"
writes

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

David

Isn't it amazing the sheer c*** that salesmen come up with at times. You
can leave it on all the time if you want. I usually switch mine off
overnight on the basis that the less switched on the less can go wrong.
You must have the same type of charger as me, David.
--
hugh