insurance help OT

Old May 5th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

Default insurance help OT

Need advice off topic please don't read on if not interested - apoligies in
that case.

We have been burgled and having problems getting the claim progressing, 4
days later they have not arranged to secure the place we had to do it
ourselves. They sent an old chap out with a girl driver in a car and she
had a clipboard, she asked us to move the garage door which was hanging off
its hinges so she could photograph it better, the wind blew it and it hit
the caravan in three places, now we have a caravan claim as well. Basically,
we are refusing to give the insurance company contractors (who we don't
know) our credit card number for them to come and do the remedial work, the
insurance company say it is chargeable if they find it is wear and tear, say
if you door was old and a bit worn it might have given way easily and the
claim not valid.
We don't like this practice and surely it is not common.
We intend to complain to the Financial Ombudsman
Liz

Old May 5th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
[...]

With all due respect you need to read the small print of the policy before
going any further (although you should have done this when you bought it).
If the policy doesn't require the use of their contractors then get one of
your own. You're still going to have to pay for it up front though. The
decision will also still need to be made as to whether it's wear and tear or
not, again, you're going to have to pay for someone to produce a report for
you if you disagree with the insurers.

Either way, I simply would not give a contractor my credit card number
before he's done anything. Get him in, get a written quote and agree
payment terms. IME only cowboys ask for a credit card number before seeing
and quoting for the job and being contracted to undertake the work.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 5th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Liz Hall" wrote in message

We don't like this practice and surely it is not common.

Never heard a tail like this before, who is the Insurence company?
Was the garage the target, or house as well?
How did you get the Insurer, through your Building Society?

Think folks need more info. in order to help you.

Please reply to News Group

Old May 5th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

Its the insurance company insisting on the credit card as if they decide it
is not a valid claim the contractors have done the work and may not get paid
by the householder. At this time I cannot get a decision on if it is
covered by the insurance company or an estimate of the work to be undertaken
by the contractors, so I can decide to go elsewhere. It is very frustrating
after 4 days.
Liz