A Year with the CC.

Old May 7th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default A Year with the CC.

Early 2005 uk.rec.walking were having a meet at a small camp site with a
CC CL attached. So we joined CC to get into that site. Not wishing
to waste the money we used the membership throughout the year. My CCC
membership card says OMG 34 years, most of it tenting.

We did not manage to get into a CC Site during the summer, they were all
fully booked, much like the CCC sites.

Come autumn we use the van for our various hobbies, usually going to a
place where something is happening and stopping for a long weekend. We
stopped at Southport for one long weekend and I stayed alone at Cherry
Hinton for two long weekends. The facilities were fine, as were the
wardens, both up to CCC standards. Same problem, with both CC and CCC
why do I pay for good facilities when I have everything in my van, so
tend not to use them. One rather strange thing was the size of the CC
Chemical Disposal points which are huge at a standard 1 sq meter. Useful
if you are ****ed out of your mind, when emptying the toilet, but that
can not be treated as a disadvantage. CCC has various sizes and shapes,

I really did not like the barriers at the entrance, with keys to get in
and out which shouted "Keep Out" which compared poorly with CCC where to
gates are only locked at night. It is like living in a Gated
Community. In my 34 years of camping I have stayed on only perhaps one
other site apart from CC with *locked* barriers and keys. This is proof
positive of snobbishness in the CCs attitude to others.

Both clubs have parking areas for those who arrive late at night, but I
particularly liked Cherry Hinton where Hook ups were provided in this
area. Worthwhile of ever one is stuck with nowhere to pitch. Is this
common at CC sites?

I did not at all like the CCs serried rows of graveled hardstandings, It
brings back nasty memories of my time in the RAF. Also the gravel gets
stuck on the soles of my trainers so treads into the van. The CCC newer
hardstandings of Industrial Strength Green plastic hexagons filled with
sand and planted with grass, which from a distance look just like an
empty field are much more to my taste. When on another CCC site there
was a large area of grass with a post with four hookups in the middle,
IMO much nicer, and forces people to *not* pitch on the same place as the
people before, and allow the grass to recover. The *Camping* and
Caravanning Club by its name etc. must, and does look after it's grass,
because tenters will not accept being pitched on hardstanding.

In the summer holiday we stayed on CC CLs were all of very good quality,
although they were mostly full and we were put on the other field without
hookups which they use with the 28 day rule.

So IME CCC sites win hands down.

So did we renew the membership? Well, when touring June gets asked,
where are we staying tonight? Then she opens the CCC BSB and gets on the
mobile phone. With the CCC BSB she has a choice of about 4000 sites,
and she decided that an extra choice of 1500 sites would be an
advantage. So Yes, June decided what we should have two memberships.
Old May 7th 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
Tested on: 07/05/2006 09:58:44

I think we have all got David Fawthrop's point of view on CC and CCC so how
about putting a sock in it Dave and let someone else have their opinion
unchallenged by you xenophobic hatred of all things CC. I to don't like CC
sites but love the CL's. But I don't go round calling all CCC members lower
forms of life, even if the only site I have stayed at was like a Dagenham
council estate. All to their own. Enough please.

Peter

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
Tested on: 07/05/2006 10:06:49

Old May 7th 06, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Richards

On Sun, 07 May 2006 09:45:01 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

I really did not like the barriers at the entrance, with keys to get in
and out which shouted "Keep Out" which compared poorly with CCC where to
gates are only locked at night. It is like living in a Gated

I really am not sure whether your regular diatribes against the CC are
just trolling or whether you really feel this way. As far as I'm
concerned the gates are for security and the gates say to me that my
van will be there when I get back to it, why do they say Keep Out to
you when everyone on site has a key or pin number.
To go so far as to criticise the CC because their waste disposal sites
are of a uniform size and construction seems to prove to me that you
are scraping the barrel to look for something to criticise.
Another point you mention is looking in the CCC BSB, try the CC book,
I have never counted the entries but know for a fact that the CC has
more Club Sites and at least three times as many 5 van sites.
I don't like Club Sites either for some of the reasons you have stated
so I don't use them very often either, maybe once or twice a year for
a nights stop over. I also was a member of the CCC but found the CC
Club sites superior in almost all respects. I use 5 van sites a lot
and have very rarely not been able to get a pitch even at the busiest
times of the year. You really should try approaching the CC subject
without the complete negativity you show in almost every post you make
about it. After all not every member of the CC can be wrong, but then
you must know this from the number of times you get flamed.
--
John Richards

Old May 7th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

wrote:

I really am not sure whether your regular diatribes against the CC are
just trolling

I have to say I do sometimes wonder. Dave obviously has a lot of experience
of camping and caravanning but he does seem obsessed by, in his view, the
failings of the Caravan Club or its members, or at least thats the way it
come across. Camping, in whatever form, is an enjoyable hobby and we should
do all we can to encourage people to enjoy the outdoor life. Who on earth
is interested in the relative size of chemical disposal points!!!!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk