Just out of interest whats the average age here?

Old May 8th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sarah and Lloyd

Default Just out of interest whats the average age here?

Now please dont think I am ageist, just wondered the spread of ages of
people who come on here. I am 35 and the wife is 34, when we got our caravan
a couple of years ago we did a survey on the M5 when we took it out for the
first time and didnt see anyone near our age, just wondered if people in the
30's are a minority. I know it isnt a cheap way to go on holiday when
initially setting up and wondered if this is perhaps what stops people from
doing it.

Anyway was just interested to hear!

Cheers

Lloyd

Old May 8th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Sarah and Lloyd wrote:

Now please dont think I am ageist, just wondered the spread of ages of
people who come on here. I am 35 and the wife is 34, when we got our
caravan a couple of years ago we did a survey on the M5 when we took
it out for the first time and didnt see anyone near our age, just
wondered if people in the 30's are a minority. I know it isnt a cheap
way to go on holiday when initially setting up and wondered if this
is perhaps what stops people from doing it.

Anyway was just interested to hear!

Cheers

Lloyd

Caravanners cover a large age range - from couples with young children to
people of more advanced years. I imagine that the people reading this NG are
a reasonable cross-section of the age range.

I was 37 when we bought our first caravan - and that was back in 1980! We
have caravanned ever since - but not as avidly as many, since we tend to fly
abroad quite often and leave the van at home. In fact, our caravan doesn't
justify its existence on economic grounds - but it's nice to have the
flexibility of being able to use it when we want to, without requiring too
much advanced planning.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 8th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John & Lisa

"Sarah and Lloyd" wrote in message
Now please dont think I am ageist, just wondered the spread of ages of
people who come on here. I am 35 and the wife is 34, when we got our

caravan
a couple of years ago we did a survey on the M5 when we took it out for

the
first time and didnt see anyone near our age, just wondered if people in

the
30's are a minority. I know it isnt a cheap way to go on holiday when
initially setting up and wondered if this is perhaps what stops people

from
doing it.

Anyway was just interested to hear!

Cheers

Lloyd

-------------

Hello,

Nope, you are not on your own. I am 39 (better not say my other half's age)
:-) and we had our first caravan 5 years ago. We are on our second one now,
about to pick up caravan number 3 on Saturday (to resell) and are currently
looking to replace our main caravan with another. So, as you can tell, we
are far from giving up on the idea of caravanning.

Regards,
John

Old May 8th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Sarah and Lloyd" wrote in message
Now please dont think I am ageist, just wondered the spread of ages of
people who come on here. I am 35 and the wife is 34, when we got our
caravan a couple of years ago we did a survey on the M5 when we took it
out for the first time and didnt see anyone near our age, just wondered if
people in the 30's are a minority.

You certainly are in a minority. We started caravanning aged 30 and only on
large commercial sites did we ever see anybody around our age with caravans
and even then not many. Most younger people seemed to have tents or trailer
tents.
On CCC & CL sites I don't think we ever saw people our own age and very few
with kids. I'd imagine the median age around the mid fifties for most
caravanners.
We've now got a motorhome and the average age seems to goes up even higher.
Very rarely do you ever see a motorhome with a family and kids on board.
Going o/t now the biggest drawback of motorcaravanning is the predisposition
of other motorcaravanners to wave at you. It's a bit embarrassing being
constantly waved at by people well into their seventh decade, I try and look
the other way now but the more persistent will then hoot and flash to get
attention or even wave their flat cap out of the window.

Rgds

Andy R