Q: changing water pump system, some advice needed

Old May 14th 06, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
missy elliot

Default Q: changing water pump system, some advice needed

hi

have a whale pump that goes into the aquaroll, this is powered by
plugging into the water/power inlet on the side of the van, is it
possible to change this to a pressure switch type, only i have
microswitches on the all taps

would there be any advantage in using the perment pressure type pump
with a pressure sensor?
only seems the contacts on the inlet and and the plug are corroded and
the do not always make contact. they do not seem to come off to clean.

col
Old May 14th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 14 May 2006 12:18:59 GMT, missy elliot
wrote:

hi

have a whale pump that goes into the aquaroll, this is powered by
plugging into the water/power inlet on the side of the van, is it
possible to change this to a pressure switch type, only i have
microswitches on the all taps

IN general the microswitch solution is the beter one, it means that in
the case of a slight leak in your pipes that the limit of water in
your van is the small amount of water in the pipes. Also there are no
problems associated with the voltage of the battery droping or rising
creating either a continually running pump or a pump that cycles on
and off.

would there be any advantage in using the perment pressure type pump
with a pressure sensor?

No

only seems the contacts on the inlet and and the plug are corroded and
the do not always make contact. they do not seem to come off to clean.

The contacts in the socket can be cleaned, and I would imagine that
the contacts in the plug can be cleaned and adjusted, failing that a
replacement pump and assembly would solve your problems. Which system
is it that your van has the Whalemaster, or the Crystal?

Bill Lord

Old May 14th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

|hi
|
|have a whale pump that goes into the aquaroll, this is powered by
|plugging into the water/power inlet on the side of the van, is it
|possible to change this to a pressure switch type, only i have
|microswitches on the all taps
|
|IN general the microswitch solution is the beter one, it means that in
|the case of a slight leak in your pipes that the limit of water in
|your van is the small amount of water in the pipes. Also there are no
|problems associated with the voltage of the battery droping or rising
|creating either a continually running pump or a pump that cycles on
|and off.

I disagree. Having used both I much prefer the pressurised system. The
only problems I have had is tweaking the pressure valve when the battery
voltage was low, but I have that permanently sussed by setting it at a low
voltage. Changing from micro switches to pressurised may be tricky
though.
Old May 14th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 14th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old May 14th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:30:10 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

I disagree. Having used both I much prefer the pressurised system. The
only problems I have had is tweaking the pressure valve when the battery
voltage was low, but I have that permanently sussed by setting it at a low
voltage. Changing from micro switches to pressurised may be tricky
though.

The main difficulty with the pressurised system is it's vulnerability
to lowering of voltage when not on the mains and it's tendency to
cycle when showering with the van connected on the mains. This plus
problems I had with a slight leak on a water pipe that flooded the
floor of my caravan when I went out one afternoon makes the
pressurised system anathema for me.

Changing from microswitches shuld not really be a problem. each tap
would have to have it's microswitch isolated from the power, and a new
power supply would have to be provided at the point of entry of the
water to the caravan. Since the two systems are mutually exclusive the
inlet to the caravan would have to be changed, easy if the hole is
smaller than the new fitting much more difficult if the original hole
is larger.

Bill Lord