Dunkirk or Calais

Old May 16th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jon

Default Dunkirk or Calais

Hello,

I'm going on a static caravan (mobile home) holiday, by car, with the wife
and kids to Vendee (mid west coast of France). Have also booked a couple of
days in a hotel on the outskirts of Paris, so the kids can go to Eurodisney,
and it also breaks up the journey for me.

Searching for ferrys from Dover I can get 68 ret for Dunkirk (NorfolkLine),
90 for Calais(SeaFrance).

Basically is there any reason not to go with the cheaper option, other than
the extra 45mins ferry travelling time. ie is Dunkirk port busier than
Calais etc.

Also I can get Newhaven to Diepee for 160, is that a better deal
considering how much less fuel it will take.

Thanks

Jon

Old May 16th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

"jon" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm going on a static caravan (mobile home) holiday, by car, with the wife
and kids to Vendee (mid west coast of France). Have also booked a couple
of days in a hotel on the outskirts of Paris, so the kids can go to
Eurodisney, and it also breaks up the journey for me.

Searching for ferrys from Dover I can get 68 ret for Dunkirk
(NorfolkLine), 90 for Calais(SeaFrance).

Basically is there any reason not to go with the cheaper option, other
than the extra 45mins ferry travelling time. ie is Dunkirk port busier
than Calais etc.

Also I can get Newhaven to Diepee for 160, is that a better deal
considering how much less fuel it will take.

Thanks

Jon

Jon

Dunkirk is fine, easy access to A16 motorway. Have you tried SpeedFerries
(Dover - Boulogne) as they're generally very competitive if you aren't
pulling a caravan or trailer? New access road in Boulogne puts you easily
onto A16. I've used them a couple of times and they're very good.
www.speedferries.com

But for the Paris stop, I would have suggested trying LD Lines for a price,
even longer crossing though, from Portsmouth to Le Havre and outward is
overnight.

John Miller

Old May 17th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jon

"John Miller" wrote in message

"jon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks John,

Speedferries, costs 68, same as the Norfolkline to Dunkirk, so it's
probably slightly better, as it slightly closer.

What are the French "A" roads like compared to the motorway, the same as
ours?

Jon

Old May 17th 06, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
geordie cabby

Its got to be Dieppe in my book, but if you can afford it i would go Poole
St Malo and gain two days holiday,

Where abouts in the Vendee are you going to?

If you are travelling from the channel ports the new A28 Rouen- Alecon Peage
is now open

http://www.french-news.com/ASPART/19...rway_opens.asp