Mondeo Estate burning rubber ?

Old May 17th 06, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Default Mondeo Estate burning rubber ?

Hi all I tow with a 2000 Mondeo TD and have noticed that when I climb a
steep prolonged hill I get a burning rubber smell. Its only when the hill
is a long climb so its only now and again. I recently changed vans and still
get it. I therefore think it's more likely to be the car than the van. I can
only think of tyres unless I am wrong. Anyone have an idea how to tackle it.
Thanks

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old May 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les m

could it be the clutch, that stinks to high heaven if slipping
les m

Old May 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les m

Old May 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les m

Old May 17th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Thanks for the reply Les but it's not a clutch I know that smell, its
Rubber for certain.

Old May 17th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Tinkapace wrote:
Thanks for the reply Les but it's not a clutch I know that smell, its
Rubber for certain.

On occasions, especially in wet weather after a long dry spell, you can
get 'crumbs' of rubber from the road surface deposited on the exhaust.
Higher than normal exhaust temperatures in the sort of circumstances
that you describe can burn that rubber off. The rubbery smell does not
persist for long.

If there is normally no rubber smell there's probably nothing wrong but
it would make sense to make a visual check to ensure that there is
nothing rubbery close to the exhaust that could occasionally get warmer
than normal.