A visitor from uk.rec.motorcaravans

Old May 18th 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

Default A visitor from uk.rec.motorcaravans

Hi all,

(Copied to uk.rec.motorcaravans group for information)

Please excuse the intrusion, I have just popped over from
uk.rec.motorcaravans to let you know that after some discussion a group
of us felt that a 'Name & Shame' database for unhelpful Councils,
Corporations, shopkeepers, campsites, etc; who insist on treating us
tourers as third-class citizens could be beneficial. (Yes, I know of 3
camp-sites where the owners 'vet' your vehicle before allowing you to
spend your money with them, I can understand vetting the party if for
example it's and adults only site and you have young kiddies with you,
but these are people who apply more than the usual level of vetting. I
was once turned away from a site because after a 300 mile run, in
really foul weather, my outfit wasn't 'clean enough' on arrival).
I volunteered to host the database and provide the webspace. It is
about to get off the ground.
My reason for this intrusion is to advise you of the databases
creation, and ask for volunteers to assist in populating it with any
information relating to such as Height Barriers (where they appear to
have been put up for no responsible reason) .... for example ... I know
one superstore in the NE who have put height barriers up which
effectively bars anything other than a car from entering their
premises, and stops us from shopping there whilst touring around. That
one is particularly annoying because you only discover the blasted
thing after you have turned into the car park entrance and find there
is no room to turn around... I blocked the entire store entrance for
over 40 minutes because I refused to reverse with my caravan (this was
during a towing break from the motorhome) back out into the main road
traffic and forced them to open the barrier and allow me to turn around
inside.
So hopefully from that you will get the idea of what we intend to build
a database of.... all the things that stop us enjoying our touring, and
make our touring vacations more stressful than they need to be.
But, we are not looking to record only the negative. We will also have
a 'Rosettes and Roses' section to the database. There we want to record
the areas where Councils and others have taken steps to actively
encourage tourists and 'vanners. So if anyone might be interested in
helping gather good and bad information whilst on your journeys they
would be welcome to send it in to the database.

The things we have identified 'up front' are such as :
Height barriers
Low Bridges
Car Parks where caravans and motorhomes are not allowed
Shops and Stores who have made that little bit of effort to encourage
us to spend our hard-earned pennies there.
Places to park safely overnight whilst making a long trip (anywhere in
Europe) ... yes including the blasted 2hr only parking which succesive
Governements have failed to tackle on our Motorway Service Areas
....."Tiredness Kills... take a break" ... oh, but not for more than 2
hours on this large empty car-park which is leased from the UK
Government that we all pay for... Ooooops, sorry, did my cynicism show
for a second or two ;-)
Good eating places, with parking facilities, for those of us on the
move who just want to grab a relaxed meal before setting off again.

etc etc .

I hope you can spend a moment considering the merits of the database,
and hopefully decide to lend a hand gathering data. If you have SatNav
you might find it developing into a particularly useful database, as we
intend to produce POI files from it that can be downloaded to vehicle
units to aid us out on the road.

You can read the background to the decision in the following link...

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...f1bcaf45cb7776

Thanks for reading thus far.... I hope to hear from some of you in the
future.

Regards

Ian B
(a friendly visitor from 'planet motorcaravan')

Old May 18th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Vines

"ticktock" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

(Copied to uk.rec.motorcaravans group for information)

Please excuse the intrusion, I have just popped over from
uk.rec.motorcaravans to let you know that after some discussion a group

snipped

Hi TickTock

I also come on here as well as the Motorcaravan group, you may also want to
put this on uk.rec.camping as I use that as well and notice some from here
do as well.

Also what about we all start by giving information on the parking etc. in
our home towns?

Cheers

Andy

Old May 19th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Edwards

I too have followed this thread in uk.rec.motorcaravans and I must say thank
you to "Tick tock" for volunteering to get this off the ground. You will
certainly have my support and input.

Cheers
Bob

Old May 24th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stan

Default Further to: A visitor from uk.rec.motorcaravans

"Bob Edwards" wrote in message
I too have followed this thread in uk.rec.motorcaravans and I must say
thank
you to "Tick tock" for volunteering to get this off the ground. You will
certainly have my support and input.

Cheers
Bob

..
Comment from another 'visitor' and for info, from Canada.

Where all this business about who is allowed to enter a camp site based on
what is, or is not written on the side of the van or tow vehicle, height
restrictions on entering a commercial enterprise? (Gee; don't they want your
business?) seem to be rather remote, or even ridiculous? Is there still some
snobbery (a word that most Canadians probably don't even know the meaning
of?) at work in the 'Old Country'?

Here it is often the small business person, such as, say, a contractor, who,
if they can 'get away' for a long weekend or a break from a busy work-load,
have a suitable tow vehicle as part of their business, which they can
temporarily utilize for 'personal use'. What matter is it that it may have
"Torbay contracting and roof repair", or somesuch, on the side of a double
cab diesel pickup? It has a towing package/hitch anyway and will do a fine
job of towing the family's fifth-wheel $30,000 trailer! Also the
availability of a quiet commercial AC generator, most likely shut down after
10.00 PM anyway, often a welcome addition for a group of campers who may be
invited to 'plug-in' and share since it is running anyway.

Quite coincidentally there was an item on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation) Radio One, a few days ago about how the City of Prince George
BC was treating RV (Recreational Vehicle **) owners. Which received Canada
wide comment and implied criticism by even the fact that it got such
coverage!

At issue was a by-law or regulation that had been previously enacted by the
city Council but has now been rescinded for review following the
coming/current tourist season. There is even some discussion that such a
regulation may be 'Unconstitutional' and contrary to Canada's 'Human Rights'
declaration; i.e. a local government, trying to tell a commercial operation,
other wise following all the regulations, who they may or may not entertain
on their private premises!

The regulation or by-law would apparently have prohibited 'over-nighting' on
the commercial (private property) of major stores, such as supermarkets and
big-box stores which not only allow, but in some cases encourage it.
Wal-Mart in particular under the influence of it's founder has such a policy
and it is not apparently uncommon in 'touristy' areas to see several RV
vehicles congregating of an evening in an agreed area of their usually huge
parking lots for a temporary stop over.

Please note we are not talking about a 'Gypsy encampment' or long term
'parking'. While there is often a snack-bar and washrooms in these large
stores there are no water or electricity hook-ups or 'dumping stations'.
Typically an RV family after a long and tiring drive, cos our distances here
are much greater than in the UK, may pull into a commercial enterprise, such
as a Wal Mart, Zeller's etc., buy supplies, which can include the exchange
of propane tanks etc. and bed down for the night in a pretty secure and
lighted area with possibly other RVers. around. The next morning on the road
again to a destination such as a national or provincial park, private
campgrounds etc. Most of which have the proper hook-ups and sanitary dumping
facilities.

There is one province in eastern Canada which has got itself something of a
reputation for 'chivvying', visitors who tow trailers (i.e. caravans) or
have motorhomes, to move on to licensed camping areas; it is very small
province that gets a lot of summer visitors and that policy may be in
reaction to previous problems. Several of us plan to avoid stopping in that
province even though it is quite scenic and pleasant; just drive through,
stopping only for say fuel.

In my (generally very lightly populated area) people do have the freedom to
set up even at random, in some cases groups will occupy, for example, a
disused gravel pit. This almost always outside the boundaries of organised
communities. While it is considered somewhat 'acceptable'; it does in some
cases lead to pollution and garbage problems, no matter how responsible and
organised among themselves are the users. None of them as far as we know
have ever become permanent dwelling places. Obviously good sense is required
but since there is enough space problems are rare.

Similarly home building lots are, or in the past anyway, tend to be large
enough that parking the RV (caravan, motorhome, camping trailer, boat on
trailer etc.) alongside the house in the off-season is not a problem. But we
understand that in some heavily urbanized areas of North America there
commonly are restrictions about where and adjacent to the property building
and street RVs can be parked and for how long.

In 'trailer parks and camp grounds' etc. and in general we seem to be pretty
democratic bunch; it is quite normal to see say a tent camping trailer towed
by the car of a local family in the same camping area as large diesel
motorhome coaches (as big as Greyhound buses!) from mainland Canada or the
USA. Many of which tow a 'spare' four wheel drive or nice car for use once
the motorhome has been set up!

Even with the ever increasing price of fuel one still can see a 'caravan'**
of RVers visiting; several of the larger units towing extra vehicles which
have been seen to comprise an Audi, Willys Jeep, a small Cadillac and in one
case a high end Land Rover! The total length of such a combination on the
road must be some 50 feet, about the same as the tractor trailer driven by
my very good neighbour and independent operator-owner trucker. Also the cost
of the 8 to 12 hour (in good weather) ferries to and from the North American
mainland is based on space i.e. length. Followed by the 600 mile drive
across this province to the most easterly point of North America closest to
Europe. It's 1800 miles east to Ireland and 5000 miles the other way, west
to British Columbia!

As a single pensioner I have rebuilt a 29 year old truck camper that slides
into the back of one of my pickup trucks, a 2002 gasoline Nissan, with extra
rear springs and truck grade tyres, for the few summer months here. The
camper is old and rugged enough that one doesn't mind driving it over
dirt/gravel roads or side paths in wooded areas. Since rebuild it's not been
off the island of Newfoundland. But plan a trip through Labrador when the
truck road has been extended from the Labrador coast into the interior to
link up with the existing road from Quebec to Goose Bay and Labrador City,
in 2007! Probably a round trip distance of several thousand miles. With
distances of over 100 miles between filling stations carrying extra gasoline
(petrol) is a good idea! With a sparse population there are large gaps in
cell (mobile) phone coverage. However it is possible to rent a satellite
phone, for emergency use, and trade it in at the other end of the highway.
Very desirable/essential in winter, eh? There won't be any problems finding
a spot to park or overnight in such remote areas. However, one problem may
be that if one is within sight of the road, other travellers stopping to
make sure you are OK and not in any kind of difficulty!

Sorry for the length of this diatribe but it's different world, or part of
it anyway; eh?

BTW. In North America ** 'caravan' seems to be used more in the sense of
what may be the original meaning? i.e. a group of travellers using similar
means travelling together to the same destinations. As opposed to one
individual unit or 'A caravan'!

Have fun and good caravanning. Terry