Any thoughts on Audi 80 as a tow car

Old May 19th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

Default Any thoughts on Audi 80 as a tow car

Hi People,

Still trying to find myself a car to tow the van with..
Been offered an Audi 80 2L auto..any good for towing
Do you know if it will need a cooler?

Regards

John
Old May 20th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

- Whats the vans details ?

- Audi 80s are okay but A) not the best handling cars since the engine sits
so far out at the front and B) Audis are expensive insurance

Old May 21st 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White

Hi there
I have used both the 1800 and 2.0 petrol Audi 80s to tow. I have
to say it was a bit like trying to push string. The rear suspension is so
soft and sloppy that the car wanders about the road at any speed about 30 or
40 mph. However there is plenty of power from the 2.0 version. Even towing
my old (mid 70s) really heavy sprite musketeer. The fuel consumption was
scary stuff especially with any head wind. The only other problem I had was
having to be very careful braking as the font wheels of the car had a
tendency to lock up especially if you had made the slightest error loading
the van. Having said this the very best tow car I ever had was a very very
old Audi 80estate similar to the VW pasat R registration ( with the R at the
end Like ABC 123R) with a home made tow bar 3 kids the same old musketeer.
We pulled that thing up hill and down dale for years and years. Until a deer
modified the front of the car for us. I remember once getting very lost in
the pitch dark and pouring rain having to turn around on a single track
road. I drove onto a field entrance and dropped the front of the car down a
slope of about 3 foot. I kept my foot down hoping every thing would follow.
The front suspension bounced up and down a few times and hey presto we were
facing the right way again. I wouldn't dare do that now with the wife A4 .

JOHN

--
www.g7bwi.co.uk
..

Old May 21st 06, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

Default Any thoughts on Audi 80 as a tow car THANKS

Thanks very much people for the replies,
I will steer away from an audi...

John
Old May 21st 06, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

Old May 21st 06, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly