Solar panel fitting

Old May 20th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

Default Solar panel fitting

It would seem that the recommended fitting process to the roof of a
motorhome is to use Sikaflex 252 on aluminium angles that are screwed to the
panel sides.
This sounds better than drilling holes in the roof & creating a potential
leak.
Has anybody had any experience of this, does it work ok?
I can't seem to find a supplier of Sikaflex 252 in my area - would another
external building filler adhesive work e.g. Evo-Stik Serious Stuff?

SH

Old May 20th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Richard Brookman

Springtime wrote:

|| It would seem that the recommended fitting process to the roof of a
|| motorhome is to use Sikaflex 252 on aluminium angles that are
|| screwed to the panel sides.
|| This sounds better than drilling holes in the roof & creating a
|| potential leak.
|| Has anybody had any experience of this, does it work ok?
|| I can't seem to find a supplier of Sikaflex 252 in my area - would
|| another external building filler adhesive work e.g. Evo-Stik Serious
|| Stuff?
|| SH

If there's a yacht chandlery in your area, give them a try. Yacht builders
use Sikaflex all the time, often for below-waterline fittings. If you used
Sikaflex to seal a fitting in the roof, it is highly unlikely to leak - it's
awesome stuff.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old May 20th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Richard Brookman

Old May 20th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Richard Brookman

Old May 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dougal

Richard Brookman wrote:

Springtime wrote:

|| It would seem that the recommended fitting process to the roof of a
|| motorhome is to use Sikaflex 252 on aluminium angles that are
|| screwed to the panel sides.
|| This sounds better than drilling holes in the roof & creating a
|| potential leak.
|| Has anybody had any experience of this, does it work ok?
|| I can't seem to find a supplier of Sikaflex 252 in my area - would
|| another external building filler adhesive work e.g. Evo-Stik Serious
|| Stuff?
|| SH

If there's a yacht chandlery in your area, give them a try. Yacht builders
use Sikaflex all the time, often for below-waterline fittings. If you used
Sikaflex to seal a fitting in the roof, it is highly unlikely to leak - it's
awesome stuff.

I'd thoroughly recommend the Sikaflex if you can get your hands on it.

No doubt you've already tried their utterly useless website where you
can't find a full list of products nor anywhere to buy them. Do they
want to make any sales?

Drop them an e-mail.

Old May 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dougal

Old May 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dougal

Old May 21st 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Teetje

On Sat, 20 May 2006 21:29:14 +0100, "Richard Brookman"
wrote:

Springtime wrote:

Yacht builders
use Sikaflex all the time, often for below-waterline fittings.

No they don't. They prefer the Industrial alternatives.
Cheaper and better. Sika uses solvents to have it settle faster, the
down side is the pot-life is shortened and bubbles can be enclosed in
teh finished product. Most alternatives do not use solvents but take
longer to cure. Search the web for MS-polymer or PU filler. Sika isn't
the only one making this stuff.

Back in the days when I was involved in solar panel production we did
everything with silicon which is much cheaper that the MS-polymers
like Sikaflex. (MS-polymers did not exist then). I don't see why
silicon shouldn't still work today. Just make sure you use an UV
resistant type. If you use transparent silicon it does not degrade the
panels efficiency if some gets on the panel.