Hitchdrive

Old May 23rd 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John & Lisa

Default Hitchdrive

We are looking for a caravan mover. The mover has to be able of functioning
on a slight slope, that is both taking the caravan up a driveway slope and
manouvering whilst the caravan has a slight lean to the one side on a
surface. We noticed a manaual type of mover on Towsure and wondered what
your views were of it. A video of it is here...
http://www.towsure.com/bespoke.asp?p...hitchdrive.htm Also, what changes
were made to it in 2005 as is advertised?
Thanks.
--
John
Building our caravanning web site and forums...

Old May 23rd 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"John & Lisa" wrote in message
We are looking for a caravan mover. The mover has to be able of
functioning
on a slight slope, that is both taking the caravan up a driveway slope and
manouvering whilst the caravan has a slight lean to the one side on a
surface. We noticed a manaual type of mover on Towsure and wondered what
your views were of it. A video of it is here...
http://www.towsure.com/bespoke.asp?p...hitchdrive.htm Also, what
changes
were made to it in 2005 as is advertised?

I don't like all the videos associated with this product but we bought a
Hitchdrive two or possibly more years ago and are very pleased with it.

A part broke shortly after we bought it, it was replaced immediately with
courteous apologies by the makers who accepted my e-mailed description
without argument.

We only have a small van but we have quite a steep and narrow drive and it
was very hard work to push the van up it without aid, a second hand Powr
wheel was very heavy and not easy to fit to our 1970s van's hitch.

There's been a lot of discussion about Hitchdrive on this ng and many people
don't like it, preferring a motor mover. Well, yes, that would be nice but
they're very expensive, have to be fitted permanently and add to the unit's
weight. In our case it couldn't be justified on any of those grounds.

So while Hitchdrive isn't for everyone, for us it's the best mover we'd
used.

I don't know what modifications were made, it might be the footstep (which
gives extra weight if you stand on it to provide more traction for the
wheel). Ours doesn't have one, Spouse isn't heavy enough to make any
difference :-) I am but we've never needed it on our concrete drive which is
ribbed for maximum purchase. On grass it might be different.

Mary

Old May 23rd 06, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

After serious thinking Mary Fisher wrote :

[...]

Hi Mary,

Like you, I too could not justify a full system - so if I were to buy
one that or similar would be what I would look at buying.

Just curious... The video didn't show the hitchdrive jacking the hitch
up or down. Does it do that too, or is it a case of carrying the usual
jockey wheel too for that purpose?

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 23rd 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Remus

"John & Lisa" wrote in message ...
We are looking for a caravan mover. The mover has to be able of functioning
on a slight slope, that is both taking the caravan up a driveway slope and
manouvering whilst the caravan has a slight lean to the one side on a
surface. We noticed a manaual type of mover on Towsure and wondered what
your views were of it. A video of it is here...

We have a Hitchdrive though have never had cause to use it yet so can't comment on performance. The changes to the 2005 model are that it now comes with a footplate for extra traction and the tyres now have a more rugged tread, again for better grip.