Vans as towcars (but not pikey machines)!!!!

Old May 23rd 06, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sarah and Lloyd

Default Vans as towcars (but not pikey machines)!!!!

Hello fellow Vanners.

We are in the position of having to consider getting a van for our business
(We deliver nappies in and around Leeds) and are considering a Mercedes
Vito.

the Vito range comes with a model called the Dualiner which has windows in
the back with a row of seats and then a cargo area. We have a MPV now which
lets face it is a van with seats, and aare thinking about getting rid and
having said van. My one concern however is will we be allowed onto sites,
especially CC ones, I think these vehicles look more MPV than Van, but dont
want to be in the position that we go ahead and do this and then cannot take
the caravan anywhere.

Any experience had by others in this scenario would be interesting to hear.

Lloyd
www.nappies-direct.com

Old May 23rd 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Sarah and Lloyd" wrote in message
Hello fellow Vanners.

We are in the position of having to consider getting a van for our business (We
deliver nappies in and around Leeds) and are considering a Mercedes Vito.

the Vito range comes with a model called the Dualiner which has windows in the
back with a row of seats and then a cargo area. We have a MPV now which lets
face it is a van with seats, and aare thinking about getting rid and having said
van. My one concern however is will we be allowed onto sites, especially CC
ones, I think these vehicles look more MPV than Van, but dont want to be in the
position that we go ahead and do this and then cannot take the caravan anywhere.

Any experience had by others in this scenario would be interesting to hear.

Lloyd
www.nappies-direct.com

Do yourself a favour

Check about insurance first

I'm looking to replace the family Espace and I'm having some problems finding the
right vehicle with a diesel engine I can afford.

I've just got back from France and I saw some very nice Van conversions , but
heard some horror stories about obtaining insurance.

So to-day I checked with our family insurance broker and had my worst fears
confirmed

DieSea

Old May 23rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
geordie cabby

Avoid the vito, go for the vw transporter,they are a little more expensive
but a hell of a lot more reliable, Mercedes cant make a decent van!

Old May 23rd 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Sarah and Lloyd" wrote in
:

We are in the position of having to consider getting a van for our
business (We deliver nappies in and around Leeds) and are considering
a Mercedes Vito.

I've got a Citroen Dispatch that I use for business and liked to use as a
towcar until I replaced both my caravan and my other vehicle. I liked the
van because it made sense. With just two of us and the family dog, we
could load the van with all the heavy stuff, the dog had better
accommodation than we could provide with a Volvo 850 saloon, and the
caravan was more stable when towed with the van.

However, we had huge problems because most commercial campsites would not
accept our outfit (or they would accept the caravan but we had to park
the Dispatch some distance from our pitch and sometimes outside the
campsite!) It didn't help that the van was signwritten - for many sites
that made the difference and they'd have allowed us on were it not for
having the company name on the side of the vehicle. Even some CC sites
wouldn't let us park the van on our pitch Because the signwriting was
stopping us from using the van, I had it stripped. Now, there is no
problem with either of the clubs, but many of the commercial sites would
still refuse us.

That said, I don't think there is such an issue with "dual purpose"
vehicles (like the Dualiner and double-cab pickups). However, you might
want to phone some campsites that you're likely to use. One that is
massively anti-commercial vehicles is Parkers Farm in Devon
(http://www.parkersfarm.co.uk/) give them (and others like them) a ring
to see if they'd let you on. That way, you'll get your answer "from the
horses mouth"!

FWIW, I've changed the Volvo for a LWB Pajero, and the problems
encountered while towing with the van was one of the reasons for the
change.

HTH,

--
Geoff