Bala - TV Reception

Old May 25th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ferg

Default Bala - TV Reception

Hi,

Any1been to Bala North Wales ? Any1 know what the TV reception is like by
the side of the lake ?

regards

Ferg

Old May 28th 06, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Furry Fred

Ferg wrote:
Hi,

Any1been to Bala North Wales ? Any1 know what the TV reception is like by
the side of the lake ?

regards

Ferg

Was on the CCC site just outside Bala lasy year and reception was fair
despite the hills.

--
Furry Fred - a very nice, polite, handsome and generous gentleman who?s
so, so very modest!

Old May 31st 06, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Thu, 25 May 2006 20:42:50 +0100, "Ferg"
wrote:

Hi,

Any1been to Bala North Wales ? Any1 know what the TV reception is like by
the side of the lake ?

regards

Ferg

We regularly stay at Bala, in fact we've stayed there at least once
every year except one, for the last 12 years. Tv reception(analogue)
along the southern side varies greatly with location and height of
aerial. Even different locations within the same site can make a
significant difference.

We have a Vision Plus directional aerial and at best, are able to
receive all except Ch 5(S4C rather than Ch4 though). In order to do
this, I have replaced the standard mast with one which raises the
aerial to about 5 feet above the 'van roof height, and have to move
the aerial according to the channel required.

So it's not good reception generally on this side of the lake. It's a
long time since we stayed on the northern side, and I'm not sure it
was any better there, but then we didn't have the Vision aerial or the
high mast then either.

I suspect that the sites away from the lake side, and at higher
altitude may give better reception, but we've never used any of them.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see how we get on this year,
with the portable 12volt satellite system we just bought from Maplins,
it may well be the solution to the poor reception around Bala.

HTH

Neil