Terracan

Old May 26th 06, 06:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

Default Terracan

Any opinions on towing with a new auto Terracan? Or should I buy an old
Pajero or Bighorn?

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old May 26th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Budgie" wrote in news:[email protected]
win.ntli.net:

Any opinions on towing with a new auto Terracan? Or should I buy an old
Pajero or Bighorn?

I've never driven a Terracan but I do own a Pajero. The 2.8 has less
power and torque than the Terracan on paper. There are two flavours of
2.8 Pajero - the ones with mechanical fuel pumps produce less power and
torque than the ones with electronic fuel pumps with the changeover being
some time in 1996. The earlier 2.5 Pajero diesels have less power and
torque again.

Although I have an early 2.8 Pajero, if I knew then what I know now I'd
have gone for a 3.5 GDi and possibly converted it for gas. A good 3.5 can
be had for five grand or so (at least, that's what they're going for in
Autotrader) and a fresh import might only have 30,000 miles on the clock.
That said, insurance for grey imports tends to be higher than for UK-spec
vehicles but it should cost you about fifteen thousand of your pounds
less to be the owner of a good 3.5 GDi Mk 2 Pajero than it would to be
the owner of a spanking new Terracan. The Terracan is more economical but
petrol is cheaper than diesel and you can buy rather a lot of fuel for
the fifteen grand price difference!

Here's some figures:

Terracan 161 bhp, 343 Nm, 31 mpg
2.5 Pajero 85 bhp, 196 Nm, 28 mpg
Early 2.8 Pajero 125 bhp, 294 Nm, 25 mpg
Later 2.8 Pajero 140 bhp, 314 Nm, 28 mpg
3.0 Pajero 155 bhp, 254 Nm, 20 mpg
3.5 Pajero 245 bhp, 343 Nm, 25 mpg

You can get more of the Pajero specs at
http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/mitsubishi/pajero/ and the same site
has specs for other Japanese home market vehicles - see
http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/

If you do get a Pajero (or if you're only condisering one) we'll be happy
to see you over on the Pajero Owners Club (http://www.pocuk.com/)

HTH,

--
Geoff

Old May 26th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

I've never driven a Terracan but I do own a Pajero. The 2.8 has less
power and torque than the Terracan on paper. There are two flavours of
2.8 Pajero - the ones with mechanical fuel pumps produce less power and
torque than the ones with electronic fuel pumps with the changeover being
some time in 1996. The earlier 2.5 Pajero diesels have less power and
torque again.

If you do get a Pajero (or if you're only condisering one) we'll be happy
to see you over on the Pajero Owners Club (http://www.pocuk.com/)

Thanks for that. We can buy at a discount (no VAT due to requiring
hand-controls etc) and prefer / like having a new car with, hopefully,
reliability and a good warranty. However, I don't want to start a dispute on
that!

I notice Kia are knocking 3000 off XE Sorentos this month. Any views from
anyone on an auto Terracan against an auto Sorento?

Current caravan is 1400kg MGW (or whatever it's called now).