basic newbe questions- stabiliser, ovens etc

Old May 26th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
EF

Default basic newbe questions- stabiliser, ovens etc

I might buy a new caravan possible a continental one,
as some do not come with oven and grill is that a big
loss??

The caravan I will buy is a small light weight type
fully loaded 1000kgs
How important is a stabiliser such as al-ko type.???
On some caravan you can have shock absorbers fitted, do i need them??

I am looking at the Sterckman, Cristall or Caravelair ranges any comments.
thanks

Old May 26th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les

"EF" wrote in message
I might buy a new caravan possible a continental one,
as some do not come with oven and grill is that a big
loss??

The caravan I will buy is a small light weight type
fully loaded 1000kgs
How important is a stabiliser such as al-ko type.???
On some caravan you can have shock absorbers fitted, do i need them??

I am looking at the Sterckman, Cristall or Caravelair ranges any comments.
thanks

To us an oven is no great loss but we find the grill does get used quite a

bit

Old May 26th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:08:06 +0100, "EF" wrote:

I might buy a new caravan possible a continental one,
as some do not come with oven and grill is that a big
loss??

My first caravan had only a two burner hob, no oven no grill. We
solved that one by putting potatoes and a vegetable in one pan and
using a frying pan instead of a grill, there is very little that you
cook under a grill that you cannot do in a frying pan. The result was
that when we found ourselves with a 4 burner hob, a grill and an oven
we still only used two burners most of the time.

The caravan I will buy is a small light weight type
fully loaded 1000kgs
How important is a stabiliser such as al-ko type.???

It's not an essential since your vehicle and your caravan should be
carefully checked for matching. It would be very important to keep the
laden weight of your caravan at less than 85% of the kerbweight ( the
weight without anybody in, and with only a normal amount of fuel ) of
your car. A stabiliser simply gives greater peace of mind to the
driver and does eliminate some small amount of movement that you would
sometimes notice without it.

On some caravan you can have shock absorbers fitted, do i need them??

No, again they smooth the ride of the objects within your caravan, you
would be unlikely to notice the difference in the car. I have had two
caravans with shock absorbers and two without and I have never noticed
any difference.

I am looking at the Sterckman, Cristall or Caravelair ranges any comments.

Don't be put off by a door on the continental side, it makes
absolutely no difference to you in it's use and I have never found any
problems from it. Again I have had two vans with continental side
doors and two without, as a matter of opinion I prefer the continental
side it makes for easier loading of my van at home as the door is on
the driveway side of where I park my van whereas the Uk door is in the
middle of the garden and I had to walk all the way round the van.

Bill Lord