How much does it cost to own?

Old May 29th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default How much does it cost to own?

On Sun, 28 May 2006 23:33:40 GMT, wrote:

How much does it cost to have/use a caravan?
I realise it depends on how much you use it but as an example would
the following figures make sense to you guys?
Purchase price £12k.
Annual cost - Depreciation/maintenance/loss of interest £1K

I bought my van new in 2003 and paid £13.5k if I sold it privately now
I would probaly get about £9k, maintenance is £182 a year, loss of
interest say £350 a year

Insurance/club fees £500

Probably nearer to £400 but it's near enough.

5 trips of one night each - petrol £15 per trip

How far does your car go on 3.5gals of fuel? with my Volvo towing I
would manage about 70 miles on that so I would probably double your
figure. My brother with an A4 TDi would manage 105 miles on the same
fuel, so bearing in mind this would be a two way trip it is between 35
and 53 away from home.

overnight charge £25 per night

In 14 years I have never paid so much, I resent it if I am asked for
£15 a night and using CC CL's I rarely pay more than £6 a night, there
are many places you can stay for anything between £30 and £40 a week.

2 trips of 7 days petrol £20 per trip

Petrol again is a bit on the ambitious side

one week stay £200 per week

That's using the van for 7 months.

I would guess some of you keen types use it for 12 mths but those
aside how often do you use it approx?

I am away for a week in January, a week in March and from then onwards
have about 5 weeks at home followed by 2 weeks away. rarely out in
November and december. Usually about 65 nights a year.

Bill Lord