How much does it cost to own?

Old May 29th 06, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

Default How much does it cost to own?

wrote in message
How much does it cost to have/use a caravan?
I realise it depends on how much you use it but as an example would
the following figures make sense to you guys?
Purchase price 12k.
Annual cost - Depreciation/maintenance/loss of interest 1K
Insurance/club fees 500
5 trips of one night each - petrol 15 per trip
overnight charge 25 per night
2 trips of 7 days petrol 20 per trip
one week stay 200 per week

That's using the van for 7 months.

I would guess some of you keen types use it for 12 mths but those
aside how often do you use it approx?

I bought my caravan when it was 5 months old in 2003.

I don't keep accurate figures of cost, but in the past we generally
holidayed in France on a Eurocamp type holiday. I reckon I get my 45 +
nights a year for about the same cost as a fortnight in France. I probably
have about 8 x 2or 3 night weekends, 2 x 7 nights (Easter and October) and 1
x 14 night (summer holiday) I generally pay around 12-14 a night, except
for the summer when it rises to about 18-20.

We were not out from the end of October until early March so more like 8
months a year than seven. This is dictated more by the shortage of all year
sites rather than our desire.

Fuel has been a major issue. I had a Mitsubishi Spacewagon 2.0 Glxi and it
drank petrol. On one trip to Gretna last year we used over 100 of petrol
for the return trip. (around 450 miles)

We have just bought a Kia Sedona 2.9 diesel. As well as the size, space and
towing limits being more suitable we are also hoping for an improvement on
fuel costs. Early signs are quite encouraging, although I have not done
enough miles to get accurate figures.

Neb

Old June 1st 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

We have just bought a Kia Sedona 2.9 diesel. As well as the size, space
and
towing limits being more suitable we are also hoping for an improvement on
fuel costs. Early signs are quite encouraging, although I have not done
enough miles to get accurate figures.

Neb

Hi Neb,
We've had a 2.9CRDi SE Sedona since last August, but towed with it 3 times
since we got our 1st van in Feb ( 98 Crusader Storm ). I think the car is
~okay~ but a bit unrefined on the trim and lack of insulation to keep the
engine noise out. The leather trim is handy to combat my three chimps (
....erm I mean kids ) with muddy trainers & sticky sweets etc.
However when judged for the reason we bought it, i.e a tractor unit to tow a
big twin axle van, then it gets full marks.

Round town its a bit crap on fuel. We only get 26mpg and put this down to
the fact it weighs 2.2tons. However when its allowed to get on a run then we
get ~34mpg.

We've just returned from a site near Holyhead ( Penrhyn ) back home to
Rochdale and it probably supped about 30 quid of diesel when towing
~1.5tons of kit.

Cheers :-)