How much does it cost to own?

Old May 29th 06, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Default How much does it cost to own?

came up with the following;:
How much does it cost to have/use a caravan?
I realise it depends on how much you use it but as an example would
the following figures make sense to you guys?
Purchase price 12k.

12k Makes no sense to me at all.

Annual cost - Depreciation/maintenance/loss of interest 1K
Insurance/club fees 500
5 trips of one night each - petrol 15 per trip

LOL, I wish ....

overnight charge 25 per night

Normally we don't pay overnight fees.

2 trips of 7 days petrol 20 per trip
one week stay 200 per week

That's using the van for 7 months.

I would guess some of you keen types use it for 12 mths but those
aside how often do you use it approx?

We bought our latest 'van for 4k and use it almost every weekend. Typically
this weekend we've driven from Doncaster to Southport and back so maybe 60
diesel. No overnight fees incurred. Some weekends we go further (Tiverton
about three or four weekends ago, so maybe 100 diesel) some weekends closer
to home, Batley is the next race, so only maybe 20 in diesel. We never, in
the course of our racing, pay overnight fees, or rather when we do it's a
token fiver maybe.

We had a weekend away at the start of the season to check all the systems
and different awnings we use in CLumber Park so maybe 50 for two nights and
recently also had a few nights with family and friends in Blackwell, for
which I have no idea of cost but say 80 overnight fees.

In reality caravanning doesn't cost us anything overall as we buy second
hand and don't care about depreciation. Our expenses are re-imbursed at a
fixed rate whether we use a hotel, caravan or tent, and I also get some
remuneration from the hobbies we pursue so the 'van saves us paying for
hotel and extra diesel bills. We change the 'van every four years or so as
they get knocked about a bit, but we never buy new and have never spent more
than 4k on a 'van. Most years the first year of use pays for the 4k initial
cost of the 'van, the following three years are almost all 'profitable'.

Having a caravan actually makes us money, over our usual four year ownership
period, compared to us having to source other accomodation and travel to and
from venues ... even if we throw the 'van away ...though we do generally get
good trade-ins, indeed we once got more back than we paid for a 'van, though
I do normally modify all of them to much better standards than are strictly
necessary. Better waste water pipes, better wiring, extra lights , 12 and
240 volt sockets, better locks and do all my own servicing etc. We also buy
new tyres all round (including spare) and re-line or renew the brake shoes
and breakaway cable every time we change 'vans mainly for peace of mind as
we do (relatively) very high mileages and have no clue how long the tyres
might have been on.

I would never contemplate buying a new 'van.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!