Caravan sales plan for eyesore site

Old May 29th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John & Lisa

Default Caravan sales plan for eyesore site

The Windmill site on the seafront, which has been an eyesore for more than a
quarter of century, could be back in use this summer - to sell caravans.

The former Victorian-built Windmill building was pulled down in 1980 after
having a variety of uses which have included amusements, cafes and a big
model railway.

It had been hoped that when the new Olympia building went up on the other
side of the cliff lift in the same year that the developers would come up
with some way of connecting the two sites.

The Windmill site got its name because for many years the frontage was
decorated with an outline of a windmill picked out in wooden laths bearing
coloured lights.

Park Resorts has now applied to Scarborough Council to use the site this
summer to promote the range of caravans it sells at Cayton Bay where the
company also has a static caravan site for holidaymakers.

Geoff Slater, who works in caravan sales, said: "We want to tidy up an
eyesore sight on the seafront and put one of our caravans there.
"We want to paint the walls at the back of the site and put down some
decking with tables and chairs to brighten the area up.

"The site is owned by the council and we want to lease it from them until
October.

"If we get planning permission we could be open within days."
Mr Slater said Park Resorts wanted to use the Windmill site because it would
be convenient for both holidaymakers and locals.

Park Resorts is based in Hemel Hempstead. It has 35 static caravan sites all
over the country where the company also sells caravans.

Source: Scarborough Today
http://www.gmails.co.uk/forums/showt...?p=232#post232

--
Building our caravanning web site and forums...
www.gmails.co.uk/forums