Overvoltage on a French Site

Old June 1st 06, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Overvoltage on a French Site

I am currently on holiday in France with my caravan a 2001 Swift Charisma
550. Last Thursday night there was electrical problems with the site's
supply which I later found out was a major overvoltage up to 320V DC.

This affected many other caravaners and caused some major problems with
electrical appliances etc. Some had the mains operation of their fridges
damaged; others had their whole power distribution panels blown up and other
major problems. At first I thought the only damage I had suffered was that
the 220-Volt AC to 12V DC transformer for my TV was destroyed along with the
transformer/charger for my vacuum cleaner. I bought a new transformer for
the TV in France and will replace my vacuum in due course. Along with other
campers I have made a claim against the site operators.

However, in the last few days I suspect that my caravan's leisure battery is
not being charged. My caravan is fitted with the ESM2 Mains Module and the
ECM Electrical Control Module made by Plug-in Systems. The charger light is
still illuminated on the ESM2 but when I put a mains tester on the battery
leads, with the battery disconnected, I get no voltage. However, this may be
due to the fact that the ESM2 detects that there is no load on the system,
say equivalent to the battery being fully charged, and not voltage is
detected. Has anyone any ideas how to quickly and easily check if the
charger is working?

Although, according to the Caravan Handbook, the transformer/charger in the
ESM2 will ". protect against overcurrent. ..". I have contacted Swift for
advice but thought is was worth a post on the newsgroup too.

Has anyone had such experiences? It may be a warning that such things are
possible and we may also need to put some form of surge protection in French
site's supplies as well as check for reverse polarity!

Could such a thing happen in the UK? Would the electricity provider's
systems stop overvoltages?

Regards

Jim

--