Overvoltage on a French Site

Old June 1st 06, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Overvoltage on a French Site

I am currently on holiday in France with my caravan a 2001 Swift Charisma
550. Last Thursday night there was electrical problems with the site's
supply which I later found out was a major overvoltage up to 320V DC.

This affected many other caravaners and caused some major problems with
electrical appliances etc. Some had the mains operation of their fridges
damaged; others had their whole power distribution panels blown up and other
major problems. At first I thought the only damage I had suffered was that
the 220-Volt AC to 12V DC transformer for my TV was destroyed along with the
transformer/charger for my vacuum cleaner. I bought a new transformer for
the TV in France and will replace my vacuum in due course. Along with other
campers I have made a claim against the site operators.

However, in the last few days I suspect that my caravan's leisure battery is
not being charged. My caravan is fitted with the ESM2 Mains Module and the
ECM Electrical Control Module made by Plug-in Systems. The charger light is
still illuminated on the ESM2 but when I put a mains tester on the battery
leads, with the battery disconnected, I get no voltage. However, this may be
due to the fact that the ESM2 detects that there is no load on the system,
say equivalent to the battery being fully charged, and not voltage is
detected. Has anyone any ideas how to quickly and easily check if the
charger is working?

Although, according to the Caravan Handbook, the transformer/charger in the
ESM2 will ". protect against overcurrent. ..". I have contacted Swift for
advice but thought is was worth a post on the newsgroup too.

Has anyone had such experiences? It may be a warning that such things are
possible and we may also need to put some form of surge protection in French
site's supplies as well as check for reverse polarity!

Could such a thing happen in the UK? Would the electricity provider's
systems stop overvoltages?

Regards

Jim

--

Jim

It has removed 649 spam emails to date.
Get the free SPAMfighter he http://www.spamfighter.com/len

Old June 1st 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Unplug the mains.
Switch on some internal lights then get someone to plug in the mains while
you watch the bulbs. If you're lucky you'll notice the bulbs get slightly
brighter when charging starts. If you can't see any difference invest in a
cheap multi-meter and see if the voltage accross the battery increases when
you plug in the charger.

Although, according to the Caravan Handbook, the transformer/charger in
the ESM2 will ". protect against overcurrent. ..". I have contacted Swift
for advice but thought is was worth a post on the newsgroup too.

Has anyone had such experiences? It may be a warning that such things are
possible and we may also need to put some form of surge protection in
French site's supplies as well as check for reverse polarity!
Could such a thing happen in the UK? Would the electricity provider's
systems stop overvoltages?

Rather than a 'surge' this sounds like a cockup by some French electrician.
If you connect the wrong wires of a 3 phase supply to the wrong place you
get that sort of voltage across the phases. A surge protector is unlikely
to help in these circumstances. Could this happen in the UK? Not if you
don't employ Frenchmen to work on your electrics:-)

Before spending loads of money just check the fuses & circuit breakers in
your van. If you're lucky you'll find a blown one.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 1st 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
I am currently on holiday in France with my caravan a 2001 Swift Charisma
550. Last Thursday night there was electrical problems with the site's
supply which I later found out was a major overvoltage up to 320V DC.
SNIP

Unplug the mains.
Switch on some internal lights then get someone to plug in the mains while
you watch the bulbs. If you're lucky you'll notice the bulbs get slightly
brighter when charging starts. If you can't see any difference invest in
a cheap multi-meter and see if the voltage across the battery increases
when you plug in the charger.

OK thanks, will try that when I get a multimeter.

Rather than a 'surge' this sounds like a cockup by some French
electrician. If you connect the wrong wires of a 3 phase supply to the
wrong place you get that sort of voltage across the phases. A surge
protector is unlikely to help in these circumstances. Could this happen
in the UK? Not if you don't employ Frenchmen to work on your electrics:-)

The problem occurred at 22:15 so don't think anyone working on system at
time, anyway the mains lights suddenly went very bright as TV died and MCB
tripped out.

Before spending loads of money just check the fuses & circuit breakers in
your van. If you're lucky you'll find a blown one.

All fuses & MCBs OK.

Rgds

Andy R

--