freedom sunseeker help needed

Old June 8th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dave cuss

Default freedom sunseeker help needed

hi all, we have just brought a freedom sunseeker caravan and wondered if
anyone can tell us if a mk2 vw golf 1.6 would tow it ok as this is my wifes
car if not it means i will have to tow it with my subaru legacy 2.5 which
guzzles fuel enough without a caravan on the back...

thanks

dave and mandy

Old June 9th 06, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"dave cuss" wrote in
:

hi all, we have just brought a freedom sunseeker caravan and wondered
if anyone can tell us if a mk2 vw golf 1.6 would tow it ok as this is
my wifes car if not it means i will have to tow it with my subaru
legacy 2.5 which guzzles fuel enough without a caravan on the back...

Those Freedoms are designed to be towed behind almost anything. So I'd be
surprised if it was too heavy for your wife's Golf.

From http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/freedom.htm a 1998 Sunseeker Prima
or Club Class has a MTPLM of 780kg, so to stay within the 85%
recommendation the towcar should have a kerbweight of 918kg or more.

From http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vo...en.htm#golf398 the lightest
1998 Golf has a kerbweight of 1090kg and an 85% match of 927kg. However,
I've no idea when Mk2 Golfs were made!

So, it would seem that the 'van is a good match for your wife's car.
However, the "acid test" is to look at the plate on the caravan for the
MTPLM (it will be the largest value on the plate) and the kerbweight of the
car (usually found in the handbook if it isn't on the VIN plate - but a
main dealer should be able to get it if you can't find it another way).
Multiply the kerbweight of the car by 0.85 and if the result is more than
or equal to the MTPLM of the caravan you should be OK.

HTH,

--
Geoff

Old June 9th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Shaun Robertson

dave cuss wrote:
hi all, we have just brought a freedom sunseeker caravan and wondered if
anyone can tell us if a mk2 vw golf 1.6 would tow it ok as this is my wifes
car if not it means i will have to tow it with my subaru legacy 2.5 which
guzzles fuel enough without a caravan on the back...

Hi Dave, you will be fine. We have a Freedom Sunseeker and tow it
behind a 1.6 petrol Skoda Octavia hatchback with absolutely no
problems. It's actually quite easy to forget you're towing such a
light load, I found myself doing 80 on the M1 last week...oops

Fuel economy does take a hit though, we usually get 38 mpg, but towing
that goes down to about 26.

Cheers
Shaun

Old June 9th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

You might find the bigger car not too expensive on fuel as the engine will
not have to work so hard
Liz