Gel Batteries - yes or no?

Old June 11th 06, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Furry Fred

Default Gel Batteries - yes or no?

I'm in the position of having my old caravan batteries coming up to 3
years old and so I am having to think of pensioning them off.

I have been seeing something about gel batteries as opposed to the
ordinary lead acid batteries.

Can anyone tell me whether these are reliable, and what the advantages
would be?

--
Furry Fred - .. a very, very handsome, polite and generous gentleman,
who is extremely talented in so many fields and, oh, so modest

Old June 11th 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:40:08 +0100, Furry Fred wrote:

|I'm in the position of having my old caravan batteries coming up to 3
|years old and so I am having to think of pensioning them off.

Leisure batteries should last longer than 3 years.
Charge each one up fully.
Run the lights only until first sign of low voltage, measuring time and
power used.
Work out how many watthours/ampearhours that gave.
If more than 1/2 the nominal, wait till next year to pension it off.
Old June 11th 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 11th 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 11th 06, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy_R

"Furry Fred" wrote in message
I'm in the position of having my old caravan batteries coming up to 3
years old and so I am having to think of pensioning them off.

Wow!

What have you been doing to them to destroy them in 3 years?

I have been seeing something about gel batteries as opposed to the
ordinary lead acid batteries.

Can anyone tell me whether these are reliable, and what the advantages
would be?

They can take more abuse in the sense of flattening them and recharging but
the charging requirements are different and you can't use a 'normal'
lead/acid charger without modification.

Unless you regularly flatten your leisure batteries IMHO you'll do just as
well to get a decent make ordinary leisure battery or even a car battery.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 28th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

wrote:

I'm in the position of having my old caravan batteries coming up to 3
years old and so I am having to think of pensioning them off.

I have been seeing something about gel batteries as opposed to the
ordinary lead acid batteries.

Can anyone tell me whether these are reliable, and what the advantages
would be?

Down side:

High initial cost compared to normal leisure battery.

Higher weight for a given capacity(Ah) than normal leisure battery.

Sealed construction means inability to check electrolyte level or use
a hydrometer to determine state of charge.

Up side:

Hold their charge for a much longer time than a normal leisure
battery.

Virtually maintenance free - nearly all gas given off during charging
re-combines within the cell, and is therefore, not lost. As a result
it is possible to use these batteries with less ventilation provision
than a normal leisure battery.

Gel batteries can be installed and used in orientations other than
upright. They are sealed, so will not leak acid.

Treated well, i.e. never discharged below 50%, and always recharged
fully before being laid up, a gel battery should last very a long
time.

On balance I doubt if a gel battery is worth the outlay for
caravanning. Leisure batteries are cheap by comparison. However I
picked up an ex-equipment standby gel battery(135Ah) for 30 delivered
which has been performing very well for many years, most of them in a
caravan or trailer tent, and although it is not now used for
caravanning, it remains fully charged and always ready as standby
power or as a jump starter.

HTH

Neil