Running fridge on gas compared to 240v

Old June 12th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Default Running fridge on gas compared to 240v

Hi all , just got back from Silverstone today. Absolute top weekend ,
sweltering weather ,watching loads footy in the middle of a field , Red
Arrows and helicoptor displays , double GP2 wins by Louis Hamilton.....oh
yeah and a completely dull F1 GP.

I was at a temporary site just up the road from Whittlebury without a 240v
hookup. My van has Blizzard a/c cooler which would have come in really handy
but it needs 240v.

Anyhow, it was my first attempt at a few days on 12V / gas only and they
only real disappointment was the fridge was absolutely crap on gas. It did
appear to 'function', i.e. it sparked up a pilot flame and I could see it
through a little inspection glass in the bottom corner of the fridge. I
turned the scale up to no5 max, but to be honest it might as well have not
been on.

I just wondered a) were fridges running on gas not as effective as 240vac ,
b) did I miss doing something that would have made it work properly.

Thx

Old June 12th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"ToxOgrady" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I just wondered a) were fridges running on gas not as effective as 240vac
, b) did I miss doing something that would have made it work properly.

Would think this very hot weather would be a good testing time.
Is this a new 'fridge?
Does it need a service?
I would think that maybe gas would be less efficient, and in summer use when
on gas mine appears to use gas quickly.

Please reply to News Group

Old June 12th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

ToxOgrady wrote:

[...]

It *should* work as well on gas as on mains. Have you tried it on mains
under the same ambient conditions?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 12th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

It *should* work as well on gas as on mains. Have you tried it on mains
under the same ambient conditions?
--

It was pretty warm at Angelsey 10 days ago on 240V and the contents were as
cold as any household fridge would be. I'd say it was ~22C in Angelsey and

To answer the other poster , the fridge in a 1998 Crusader storm , from its
paperwork its an Electrolux RM4291. I'd guess its spent most of its usage
running 240v and the van hasn't been serviced since 2001.

Like I said in the OP , it had no trouble igniting.

I assume this ISN'T like a gas fire i.e a pilot flame heats up a thermcouple
to then allow the main feed of gas. If it DOES work this way then maybe the
thermcouple is goosed ???