3500kgs vehicle question

Old June 13th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Boo

Default 3500kgs vehicle question

Hi,

Does anyone here have any ideas for a 3500kg vehicle suitable for towing a
caravan over 7m length ? Ideally something cheap and as close to a normal
estate car as possible (I know it won't be very close...). AIUI even the
biggest 4wd available is quite a bit smaller than needed but am just curious as
to what might be practical for a "normal" caravan owner ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Boo
Old June 13th 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John & Lisa

"Boo" wrote in message

Does anyone here have any ideas for a 3500kg vehicle suitable for towing a
caravan over 7m length ? Ideally something cheap and as close to a normal
estate car as possible (I know it won't be very close...). AIUI even the
biggest 4wd available is quite a bit smaller than needed but am just

curious as
to what might be practical for a "normal" caravan owner ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Boo

---------------

Some Landrovers and Discovery commercials are 'over' 3500kgs GVW, I mentio
the commercial aspect in case you wished to convert to passenger use on that
chassis. Another alternative is the use of some larger police spec vehicles,
such as LDVs if you wanted to go down that route, there are a number of riot
vans running at 3050kgs and above. My favourite option, which we are
considering is to convert a public service bus/coach (7500kgs and below) to
a motorhome. Insurance can be quite cheap as we found out, with no expensive
engineers report required in some cases.
--
John
GMails - Our Caravanning bit of the web

Old June 13th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Boo wrote in
:

Does anyone here have any ideas for a 3500kg vehicle suitable for
towing a caravan over 7m length ? Ideally something cheap and as
close to a normal estate car as possible (I know it won't be very
close...). AIUI even the biggest 4wd available is quite a bit smaller
than needed but am just curious as to what might be practical for a
"normal" caravan owner ?

Thanks in advance,

I understand that the Fifth Wheel Company's Celtic Rambler unit is over
3,500 kg and that they've had double-cab pickups replated with an increased
MAM to let them legally tow their units. So, if you fancy a Nissan Navara
etc. http://www.fifthwheelco.com/ might be somewhere to start. From their
website, it looks like they do conversions. If nothing else, they might let
on how to go about replating your own vehicle!

Alternatively, perhaps you could talk to your local VOSA test station and
ask their advice. (When I was considering importing for myself, they were
very helpful and gave me several valuable pointers.) Hopefully, they would
be prepared to give a quick synopsis of what would be required. AFAICT, you
can only replate commercial vehicles (like vans and pickups). However,
someone in the Pajero Owners Club (http://www.pocuk.com/) was looking to
replate a LWB Pajero to legally tow a 2.5m Hobby - but I don't know if he
went through with that.

HTH,

--
Geoff

Old June 15th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Boo

My favourite option, which we are
considering is to convert a public service bus/coach (7500kgs and below) to
a motorhome. Insurance can be quite cheap as we found out, with no expensive
engineers report required in some cases.

Interesting idea, were you thinking of doing the conversion yourself ? Or if
not are whoi were you looking at getting to do the work ? I don't know how much
of a weight increase there is involved in the average conversion but I suppose
if the coach can carry 30 odd people in normal use then that's better than 2
tonnes worth to play with.

If you go ahead with this I'd be really interested to hear how you get on, or
if you know of any websites detailing conversions of this kind I'd be interested
to see them.

Cheers,

--
Boo