Drink and Drive

Old July 7th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stan

Default Drink and Drive

Maybe not 100% on topic but I always find the responses from this group very
helpful.

Living at one of the extremities of the UK, most times we take the van out,
it involves a drive of at least 4 hrs but more often that not 6 or 7 hrs.

When we are on such an outing once we reach 30 miles from our destination,
my wife and I crack open a couple of cans of Stella, we drink these while we
are nearing our destination. I find this relaxes me from the toils of the
journey and sets the vacation off to a good start. I never go over the
limit, i.e. never more than 2 cans before I reach the site.

My question, is it illegal to drink alcohol and drive? A friend has
suggested that if I was stopped I would be arrested as I would fail the
breath test, even though my blood alcohol would be below the limit.

I am 18 stone and 2 cans have very little effect on me other than make me
chill out. When we reach the site the remaining 4 cans in the six pack are
normally gone before the last peg of the awning goes in.

I am not after lectures about how I shouldn't touch a drop if I am driving,
what I would like is advice on the legal position.

Many Thanks

--
Stan

supporter of :
http://www.caravannersreunited.co.uk/

Old July 7th 03, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Splashlube

My question, is it illegal to drink alcohol and drive? A friend has
suggested that if I was stopped I would be arrested as I would fail the
breath test, even though my blood alcohol would be below the limit.

I am 18 stone and 2 cans have very little effect on me other than make me
chill out. When we reach the site the remaining 4 cans in the six pack are
normally gone before the last peg of the awning goes in.

I am not after lectures about how I shouldn't touch a drop if I am driving,
what I would like is advice on the legal position.

Many Thanks

--
Stan

supporter of :
http://www.caravannersreunited.co.uk/

Seeing as how there have been successful prosecutions for people eating so much
as a chocolate bar while driving I would say you're onto a sure fire
prosecution.

You will be deemed not to be in proper control of a car/van driving with one
hand. Thats quite apart from how a policeman would react to seeing you with a
tin of alkihol in your mitt.

Andy

Old July 7th 03, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terrano

"Stan" wrote in message

When we are on such an outing once we reach 30 miles from our destination,
my wife and I crack open a couple of cans of Stella, we drink these while

we
are nearing our destination. I find this relaxes me from the toils of the
journey and sets the vacation off to a good start. I never go over the
limit, i.e. never more than 2 cans before I reach the site.

.. When we reach the site the remaining 4 cans in the six pack are
normally gone before the last peg of the awning goes in.,

How long have you been an alcoholic?

Old July 8th 03, 06:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Robson

"Stan" wrote in message

My question, is it illegal to drink alcohol and drive? A friend has
suggested that if I was stopped I would be arrested as I would fail the
breath test, even though my blood alcohol would be below the limit.

I suspect it isn't, though it probably is illegal to drink and drive because
you aren't focusing on driving.

However, it is probably giving the police open season on you. If you
were drinking Coke, they'd probably just remind you, if you are
drinking beer, they'll *assume* you are ****ed whether you are or
not.

Also ; if you are drinking beer the 'blow in the bag' might register
incorrectly ; there might be more "beer vapour" in your breath -
guessing here.

Old July 8th 03, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

"Stan" wrote in message
[...]

What a frightening post if the writer is serious. An incident that is not
your fault takes on a whole new magnitude where drink is a factor. You cant
have it both ways Stan, either it does not affect you or if you find it
relaxes you, then it does. Your licence and your hobby are surely more
important than your thirst.

Keith

Old July 8th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Stan
writes
When we are on such an outing once we reach 30 miles from our destination,
my wife and I crack open a couple of cans of Stella, we drink these while we
are nearing our destination. I find this relaxes me from the toils of the
journey and sets the vacation off to a good start. I never go over the
limit, i.e. never more than 2 cans before I reach the site.

Is it just me, or does this stink to high heaven of troll? Oh well,
what the hell, I'll bite.

Two cans of Stella may well be over the limit, regardless of how you
feel. . It's widely accepted that two pints is about the limit that the
average person can drink and still be under the limit, but that's based
on the assumption that two pints amounts to four units. To calculate
the number of units you've consumed, multiply the %ABV by the number of
litres you drank. If you drank two 500ml cans of Stella at 5.2% ABV,
you've consumed over 5 units of alcohol, amounting to around 2.5 pints
of something like Carling or Guinness. If you're drinking pints, divide
the number you've had by two, add 10% and then multiply by the ABV.

My question, is it illegal to drink alcohol and drive? A friend has
suggested that if I was stopped I would be arrested as I would fail the
breath test, even though my blood alcohol would be below the limit.

I take it your concern is that the alcohol fumes in your mouth would
increase the reading. If this did cause a false positive, you would
probably be arrested. I'm a bit sketchy on the details as I've never
really looked into this, but I believe that either you or they can
demand a second test down at the station. By this time any alcohol in
your mouth should have dispersed and they should get an accurate reading
of your blood alcohol content.

I am 18 stone and 2 cans have very little effect on me other than make me
chill out. When we reach the site the remaining 4 cans in the six pack are
normally gone before the last peg of the awning goes in.

Well I'm not far behind you weight-wise, and I know that two pints of
Stella will put me over the limit. I've confirmed it with a personal
breathalyser (which I normally only use the morning after the occasional
heavy session with friends) which showed that I was at about 130% of the
legal limit around half an hour afterwards.

I am not after lectures about how I shouldn't touch a drop if I am driving,
what I would like is advice on the legal position.

My advice would be to save the Stella until you get on-site, but
obviously that's not what you're looking for. Failing that, go out and
buy a personal breathalyser, and then confirm the effect that two cans
have on your blood alcohol content in the comfort of your own home.
IIRC it takes until about half an hour after your last drink before you
hit the peak, so wait until then.

If it does prove that you're over the limit then consider the following:
You don't have to be driving badly or even cause an accident to be
breathalised. I was asked to blow into the bag after someone rear-ended
my car on the M42. Besides the obvious consequences, a driving ban
would put a real damper on your caravanning.

--
David Thornber
Old July 8th 03, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Stan deftly scribbled:

I am not after lectures about how I shouldn't touch a drop if I am
driving, what I would like is advice on the legal position.

Who cares what you are or aren't after ?

If this isn't a troll, which I suspect it is, then you, Stan, are an
imbecile.

--

Old July 8th 03, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Cohen

In article ,
(Dave Fawthrop) wrote:

Even a small amount of alcohol reduces the ability to drive, even under
the limit.

Perhaps.

Paul C.